Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Anyone know if Mail will include a way to utilize .Mac email address aliases? Via webmail it's no problem cuz they have a little tab that lets you select which one you want to send the email from, a feature identical to chosing your signature in Mail on one's own Mac.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Also, here's an undocumented tip I learned right here on this forum:
With mail in 10.3, you can have multiple email from addresses in a drop-down box with only one account setup.

In your Mail Preferences, in the Email textbox for your Account, put multiple email addresses separated by commas:
email1@example.com, email2@example.com, email3@example.com

Then you can send from any of those addresses, with only 1 account set up!
Yay!

Lee Tom

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
True, but...

LeeTom said:
Also, here's an undocumented tip I learned right here on this forum:
With mail in 10.3, you can have multiple email from addresses in a drop-down box with only one account setup.

In your Mail Preferences, in the Email textbox for your Account, put multiple email addresses separated by commas:
email1@example.com, email2@example.com, email3@example.com

Then you can send from any of those addresses, with only 1 account set up!
Yay!

Lee Tom

Nice tip, but it won't let me input any text in the blank space entitled "Email Address". ALthough, when holding the mouse pointer over the space, I get a pop-up message box which states exactly what you say...any idea how to get past this typing block?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
floatingspirit said:
Nice tip, but it won't let me input any text in the blank space entitled "Email Address". ALthough, when holding the mouse pointer over the space, I get a pop-up message box which states exactly what you say...any idea how to get past this typing block?

ahhh... you're using .Mac, so you probably can't change it.
If you are able to use IMAP instead, but with the proper .Mac settings, you could probably do it.

Lee Tom

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
LeeTom said:
ahhh... you're using .Mac, so you probably can't change it.
If you are able to use IMAP instead, but with the proper .Mac settings, you could probably do it.

Lee Tom

Brilliant! That totally did it. It added a little click 'n drop-down menu for email addresses to send from, just like for multiple signatures! Thank you very much:)

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
gmail outgoing server - too many recipients?

I'm glad I happened upon this hack, but now I have a problem. I'll explain first though.

I had been using my university email account for incoming mail and an email account through my domain/server space, because the university server allows you to receive email from any network you're connected to, but one can only use the smtp server when connected on campus (for obvious reasons). I will no longer own a domain or that server space very shortly, but I now have a gmail account. I added my gmail address to the list of email addresses in my one and only account in Mail. I then changed the outgoing to smtp.gmail.com and did all the other configuration for it (port, ssl, username and password). It worked. I was able to send email to a friend. I then tried to send an email containing a long list of recipients from my address book and I got this message from Mail:
The server “smtp.gmail.com” did not recognize the following recipients:

The server response was: 4.5.3 Too many recipients

You can try to send using a different server. All messages will use this server until you quit or change your network settings.

So what do I do for emails with a lot of recipients?

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
buckuxc said:
I'm glad I happened upon this hack, but now I have a problem. I'll explain first though.

I had been using my university email account for incoming mail and an email account through my domain/server space, because the university server allows you to receive email from any network you're connected to, but one can only use the smtp server when connected on campus (for obvious reasons). I will no longer own a domain or that server space very shortly, but I now have a gmail account. I added my gmail address to the list of email addresses in my one and only account in Mail. I then changed the outgoing to smtp.gmail.com and did all the other configuration for it (port, ssl, username and password). It worked. I was able to send email to a friend. I then tried to send an email containing a long list of recipients from my address book and I got this message from Mail:

Not too sure..but might be a good idea not to post lots of your friends email addresses on here as they will be harvested..!

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
ahh

good point, I wasn't paying attention...

anyone know how to change that?

or answer my question?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Very good Thread!

To poster above: ask a moderator to erase that quote.

I have three main accounts: work, work 2, personal gmail. I have been having difficulty reaching all three and sending e-mail from home. This weekend, I hope to solve all that using the hack above.

Many thanks.

forthebrave

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
tried doing this but didn't really understand... this is so you can use e-mail aliases on your desktop mail app. right? not .mac? Open Mail preferences>Accounts?? then where? e-mail textbox?

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
forthebrave said:
tried doing this but didn't really understand... this is so you can use e-mail aliases on your desktop mail app. right? ....

Right.

After you add another account to Mail, or even multiple addresses within a single account (by putting a comma between each address as you fill the box), then, when you compose an email, there appears a tab on the email itself which you click on to chose which address you wish the mail to be sent from.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
buckuxc said:
... I added my gmail address to the list of email addresses in my one and only account in Mail. I then changed the outgoing to smtp.gmail.com and did all the other configuration for it (port, ssl, username and password)....

I'm no computer whiz at all, but rather than adding your gmail address to the list of email addresses in your one and only account in Mail, did you try making that it's own, separate account with its own outgoing server?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
buckuxc said:
good point, I wasn't paying attention...

anyone know how to change that?
You can edit any (of your own) posts, if you're logged in... just find the post you want to edit and press the, well, "Edit" button in the low right edge of the posts field... :)

Edit: Like I did now to to attach an image of the edit button:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 483
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.