Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coheed999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Right i purchased an iphone from ebay, the seller wasnt sure if it was locked or unlocked but said he "thinks" it was on orange network.

Received the phone and turned it on, get the no sim message. Used a micro sim cutter to cut an orange sim down to size, still get the emergency call and connect to itunes screen. Plugged it to itunes and it says its not a supported sim. Great.

So i tried the same with an o2 sim, same message, i have since tried it with official micro sims from tmobile and vodaphone same message.

Am i doing something wrong, or is it likely to be on a network i have yet to try?

PLEASE HELP iv had it weeks and just want to use the thing.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Right i purchased an iphone from ebay, the seller wasnt sure if it was locked or unlocked but said he "thinks" it was on orange network.

Received the phone and turned it on, get the no sim message. Used a micro sim cutter to cut an orange sim down to size, still get the emergency call and connect to itunes screen. Plugged it to itunes and it says its not a supported sim. Great.

So i tried the same with an o2 sim, same message, i have since tried it with official micro sims from tmobile and vodaphone same message.

Am i doing something wrong, or is it likely to be on a network i have yet to try?

PLEASE HELP iv had it weeks and just want to use the thing.

Only other network to check would be 3UK, other than that, contact Apple and ask them?

Coheed999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Yeah iv today ordered 3 and tesco sims, if not ill ring apple. So annoying, i cant even use the apps as i cant turn the thing on.

Coheed999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Is there any way of finding out what network my phone is on via the imei

As title, i have bought an iphone 4 from ebay that was said to be on orange, iv tried an orange sim but no luck. How do i find out the network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.