Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Hello Folks
Here's my current situation - 1 iTunes account & 11 Devices. I have the following on my iTunes account
  • 3 iPhones
  • 5 iPads
  • 3 Macs

Now I am as psyched about iCloud and the magic that only Steve weaves. But, I can't possibly have my photos sync to my family's devices or vice versa; same with apps and documents etc.

For you early iOS 5 Beta testers out there, is there a way that we can setup granular rights for each device with a special PIN or so? Is there a more obvious/intuitive device management UI that you have seen that won't wreak havoc with privacy on the devices on my one account.

abhic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Ok quick note, it seems that I am assuming that

Apple ID = iCloud ID = iTunes ID

Am I mistaken in this assumption btw?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
You would need to use multiple Apple ID's. My plan for my wife and I.

We both will have a unique Apple ID for our person stuff. iCould, Email, Contacts, Calendar. This would be like our MobileMe Accounts now.

We will continue to share our iTunes Apple ID for our purchases like Music, Movies and Applications.

Of course we are still in Beta so hard to say for sure how the final setup will work.

Even though I am testing iOS 5 I still use MobileMe as well. At some point I will be able to upgrade my MobileMe Accounts to full iCloud Accounts.

I think it will be done here when ready:

http://www.me.com/upgrade

abhic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Ok thats really helpful, thank you!

So, I can set up iCloud's sync stuff with an Apple ID different from my iTunes/AppStore account in System Preferences in iOS 5?

Would it be possible to share a screenshot how they do that in iOS 5 beta?

Thanks.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
There are several threads on this subject here. You may want to read some of them.

On your phone. I think 4.3.?

Settings / Store / this is where you put you iTunes Store ID. This is the same in iOS 5.

In iOS 5 there is now Settings / iCloud. Here you put you iCloud ID. Does not need to be the same as Store Apple ID.

Settings / Mail. Here you add Your iCloud Mail Account like you do with MobileMe. You can add more then 1.

Again, still in Beta so thing could change.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Your iCloud ID and iTunes Store ID are both Apple IDs, but they certainly don't have to be the same Apple ID. It looks like you can even use another on for Game Center.

By default Apple sets all of these to the same ID when you set up your phone for simplicity. They obviously foresaw the need for multiple IDs in use on a single device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.