Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
mustnotsleep
macrumors 6502

How to Use Tracfone Service with Unlocked iPhone?

I have been using T-mobile prepaid for a while now with an iPhone 4, but it only has minutes/texts with no mobile internet. I have read that buying an E71 from Walmart and switching sims would work for an iPhone, but I cannot find any specific details. Does this method still work? Is it 3G speed? What are the plan details exactly? $45/mo?

Basically, I just want a detailed description of what needs to be done before I spend $250 on the E71. Has anybody had any problems?

Thanks.
mustnotsleep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
NikFinn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustnotsleep View Post
I have been using T-mobile prepaid for a while now with an iPhone 4, but it only has minutes/texts with no mobile internet. I have read that buying an E71 from Walmart and switching sims would work for an iPhone, but I cannot find any specific details. Does this method still work? Is it 3G speed? What are the plan details exactly? $45/mo?

Basically, I just want a detailed description of what needs to be done before I spend $250 on the E71. Has anybody had any problems?

Thanks.
I haven't looked entirely into the specifics, but at the very minimum you're going to need to trim the sim card from the E71 into a microsim, assuming you're going to use an iPhone 4. They sell things online that'll cut it for you, but if you have scissors/a razor blade you can cut it yourself.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:19 PM   #3
mustnotsleep
macrumors 6502

That is the least of my worries. I do have an iPhone 4 and I have been through the SIM cutting process before. I am mainly curious if I can get 3G internet for $45/mo through the Tracfone process and how reliable it is.
mustnotsleep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:08 PM   #4
NikFinn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustnotsleep View Post
That is the least of my worries. I do have an iPhone 4 and I have been through the SIM cutting process before. I am mainly curious if I can get 3G internet for $45/mo through the Tracfone process and how reliable it is.
Do you know what band 3G tracfone uses? This, in theory, would be the only limiting factor.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
eastercat
macrumors 68040

If tracfone is piggybacking on t-mobile's service, it'll be edge data only. However, if it's piggybacking off at&t, you should be able to access 3G bands.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks