Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
Question iPhone 3GS not getting signal

My sister was using my old 3GS. It was working great. Then a while ago I found out she was using a 4 and she told me the 3GS stopped "getting signal" or would just get 1 bar but never work. So she had to get a new phone.

I think she took it to an AT&T store as well... so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue?

I was hoping maybe she was just technologically inept, so I asked for the phone and am trying to figure out if it's anything I can fix. I just reset everything on the phone and tried putting in a few old sim cards that we don't use anymore.

They were showing up as having 1 bar but no carrier or anything was listed when the "connect to iTunes" screen was up, but after I synced it once it just says no service. I have yet to try an active SIM card because I don't have one (just my micro sim). I might try to borrow someone's at work tomorrow just to give it a shot.

Anyway, is there any known issue like this out there? If it is a hardware issue, how much would it cost to fix? The phone is perfectly fine otherwise and is basically a 16GB iPod touch right now.

Thanks for any info
sou1 so1di3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 01:42 AM   #2
DeanPuwananuwat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou1 so1di3r View Post
My sister was using my old 3GS. It was working great. Then a while ago I found out she was using a 4 and she told me the 3GS stopped "getting signal" or would just get 1 bar but never work. So she had to get a new phone.

I think she took it to an AT&T store as well... so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue?

I was hoping maybe she was just technologically inept, so I asked for the phone and am trying to figure out if it's anything I can fix. I just reset everything on the phone and tried putting in a few old sim cards that we don't use anymore.

They were showing up as having 1 bar but no carrier or anything was listed when the "connect to iTunes" screen was up, but after I synced it once it just says no service. I have yet to try an active SIM card because I don't have one (just my micro sim). I might try to borrow someone's at work tomorrow just to give it a shot.

Anyway, is there any known issue like this out there? If it is a hardware issue, how much would it cost to fix? The phone is perfectly fine otherwise and is basically a 16GB iPod touch right now.

Thanks for any info
Try set the iPhone to 2G...
Settings>>General>>Network - turn Cellular Data and 3G off.

Is the iPhone 3Gs updated to the latest software? (latest - 4.3.3)
Sounds like a hardware-related problem.
DeanPuwananuwat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPuwananuwat View Post
Try set the iPhone to 2G...
Settings>>General>>Network - turn Cellular Data and 3G off.

Is the iPhone 3Gs updated to the latest software? (latest - 4.3.3)
Sounds like a hardware-related problem.
I turned that stuff off. And no, it's running 4.2.1.......

I also think it's a hardware issue.. I was just not sure if anyone had a similar issue and had it fixed/replaced and if so how much $$$ it usually runs.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4
sparkyms
macrumors 65816

i think its $199 in the US for an out of warranty replacement.. I might be wrong though. For that they just swap it for a refurbed unit.
sparkyms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:21 PM   #5
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a

uhmm ok so I just borrowed a guy from work's 3GS SIM card and swapped it in.

The phone works perfectly..........

I just called my iPhone from it.

My sister is dumb

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone