Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
t0rr3s
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD just died at 6 months

My 120gb ssd just bit the dust. Received my base 15" yesterday and put the SSD in which was from my 2010 mbp into my new mac. Installed SL using the disc and everything was moving along great. Just a couple of hours ago, the system froze and I had to restart. Dreaded flashing folder and disk utility couldnt detect the ssd at all. I guess that's it right? 6 months is a little too quick isn't it?

I have my TM backups and the ssd is still under warranty but I just can't believe it went just like that. Any clues as to what had gone wrong?
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Two of my Intel x25-Ms died the same way.

Thems the breaks, I suppose.
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:19 PM   #3
un.titled
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rr3s View Post
Any clues as to what had gone wrong?
New technology. HDD's have been perfected through a large time scale. Eventually SSD's will be there. There seems to be a lot of defects with SSD's, considering some people have zero problems, and others go through 2-3.
un.titled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:21 PM   #4
awer25
macrumors 6502a
 
awer25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Could it have been because of the system swap? It seems like it would be a big coincidence otherwise (i.e. works fine for 6 months, switch systems and it stops working).
__________________
Late 2013 13" rMBP | 4.9GHz i7 Hackintosh, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 Ti GPU, SSD | iPad Air LTE 32GB | 32GB iPhone 5S
awer25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by awer25 View Post
Could it have been because of the system swap? It seems like it would be a big coincidence otherwise (i.e. works fine for 6 months, switch systems and it stops working).
I was wondering if that was the case too but I went with the advice I read from here that you could just go ahead and install SL over the ssd from the previous mac. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I don't really know for sure at this stage. I'm getting a replacement which is the newer 115gb version this Saturday. Will do a clean install and see how it goes. I'm even wary of doing a migration from my TM now!
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:45 PM   #6
itskristian
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to itskristian
Slightly worrying, I just ordered one of these :/
itskristian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
Two of my Intel x25-Ms died the same way.

Thems the breaks, I suppose.
Caught me out of the blue it did, even if I'd been aware of instances as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un.titled View Post
New technology. HDD's have been perfected through a large time scale. Eventually SSD's will be there. There seems to be a lot of defects with SSD's, considering some people have zero problems, and others go through 2-3.
Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later. Ever since I popped in my factory 500gb hd, I haven't felt quite the same.
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB

Last edited by kainjow; Jun 18, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: merged posts
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:11 AM   #8
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Got my replacement OWC ssd (115gb) with latest firmware. Fingers crossed on this one. Got my scorpio black hd ready just in case.

Still disturbed by Super Sudden Death (SSD).
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:23 AM   #9
KJmoon117
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rr3s View Post
Got my replacement OWC ssd (115gb) with latest firmware. Fingers crossed on this one. Got my scorpio black hd ready just in case.

Still disturbed by Super Sudden Death (SSD).
Haha nice.

But seriously, this post makes me worry as I just ordered an OWC Mercury 6G Extreme... I seriously hope it doesn't fail within six months, because as a student, I just can't have that kind of down time.
KJmoon117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:32 AM   #10
kevink2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I have my first SSD on order right now, though plan is to use it in my Mac Pro. Will transfer my existing boot drive over.

Hopefully swap won't be an issue. With 14GB, it should never be swapping. I just checked, and I was surprised that I have swap used on my laptop, with 8GB of RAM. With 1.77GB of inactive RAM. I wonder if some of that swap is from when my system went into hibernation the other day.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:21 AM   #11
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJmoon117 View Post
Haha nice.

But seriously, this post makes me worry as I just ordered an OWC Mercury 6G Extreme... I seriously hope it doesn't fail within six months, because as a student, I just can't have that kind of down time.
All the best, mate. I think the same principles apply here, backup regularly. Cutting edge technology can cut both ways, so it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink2 View Post
I have my first SSD on order right now, though plan is to use it in my Mac Pro. Will transfer my existing boot drive over.

Hopefully swap won't be an issue. With 14GB, it should never be swapping. I just checked, and I was surprised that I have swap used on my laptop, with 8GB of RAM. With 1.77GB of inactive RAM. I wonder if some of that swap is from when my system went into hibernation the other day.
Which SSD will you be getting?
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:38 AM   #12
KJmoon117
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Kind of ironically though since some of us are buying SSDs not only for their speed but for their touted reliability...

Damn, I guess I will be keeping my most important documents in cloud storage for now. And I think having an Optibay setup, where you keep your important documents in the HDD and applications only on the SSD should serve as a way to prevent complete data loss.
KJmoon117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:56 AM   #13
vincenz
macrumors 601
 
vincenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
As of right now, it's probably best to choose the SSD manufacturer based on the one who offers the longest lifetime warranty.

I just bought an Intel 320 series 160 GB for the 5 year warranty alone.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Philflow
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
About 20% of the reviews of Sandforce drives on Newegg.com mentions drive failure. For Samsung, Intel and Crucial it's less than 5%. More info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/soli...ll-help-6.html
Philflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:59 AM   #15
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Speaking of which, I've been thinking of giving the samsung 470 a whirl.
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Philflow
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rr3s View Post
Speaking of which, I've been thinking of giving the samsung 470 a whirl.
Good choice.
Philflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 04:19 AM   #17
andreiru
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kurgan, RF
The same symptoms here. SandForce SSD - OWC, 8 months into use freezes during OS installation and now gone completely.
andreiru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 06:59 AM   #18
t0rr3s
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreiru View Post
The same symptoms here. SandForce SSD - OWC, 8 months into use freezes during OS installation and now gone completely.
Very to sorry hear that mate. More than a little disconcerting.
__________________
Mac Pro 3,1 3.2 GHz Octocore 16GB RAM GTX 570 Intel X25-M 160GB SSD 4TB Caviar Black 30" ACD
MBA 2012 11" 1.7 GHz 8GB 128GB
t0rr3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:34 AM   #19
akhbhaat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's no truly compelling objective evidence that SSDs are currently more reliable than a conventional 5400 or 7200 rpm magnetic drive. People love to make assumptions about the inherent superiority of a component without any moving parts, but these assumptions ignore a lot of other fundamental issues (quality control, design, heat, etc).

In fact, I'd actually be inclined to argue to the contrary, given my own experiences, various studies I've read, and all of the anecdotal evidence that I've seen. However, you should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, so this shouldn't amount to too much more than a nuisance.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rate,2923.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJmoon117 View Post
But seriously, this post makes me worry as I just ordered an OWC Mercury 6G Extreme... I seriously hope it doesn't fail within six months, because as a student, I just can't have that kind of down time.
Keep the magnetic on hand with OSX and all the necessary programs already installed. Stick to a regular backup regimen for all your more crucial data (e.g. schoolwork).

Do this, and your downtime will amount to less than 15 minutes.
akhbhaat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:49 AM   #20
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I hate to say this.

I really do...

But,

You should have went with Crucial.

(I really do hate saying I told you so)
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:11 AM   #21
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
^oh wait that's RAM, nevermind
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:13 AM   #22
kahkityoong
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
I hate to say this.

I really do...

But,

You should have went with Crucial.

(I really do hate saying I told you so)
So that you can get severe degradation with heavy use?

http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-R...evereDuty.html
__________________
MBP 15" 2.3 Quad 16GB OWC 240GB 6G, OWC 480GB 3G, Intel XM25 160GB, MacBook Air 13" Haswell Ultimate
kahkityoong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's no truly compelling objective evidence that SSDs are currently more reliable than a conventional 5400 or 7200 rpm magnetic drive. People love to make assumptions about the inherent superiority of a component without any moving parts, but these assumptions ignore a lot of other fundamental issues (quality control, design, heat, etc).

In fact, I'd actually be inclined to argue to the contrary, given my own experiences, various studies I've read, and all of the anecdotal evidence that I've seen. However, you should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, so this shouldn't amount to too much more than a nuisance.

Here's an interesting article on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rate,2923.html

Keep the magnetic on hand with OSX and all the necessary programs already installed. Stick to a regular backup regimen for all your more crucial data (e.g. schoolwork).

Do this, and your downtime will amount to less than 15 minutes.
Did you read the Tom's article you linked. It cites multiple studies that show SSDs ARE more reliable.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow OWC Mercury Extreme SSD Pro? Mac Hammer Fan Mac Pro 7 Mar 5, 2014 03:06 PM
OWC Mercury Electra 6G vs. 6G Extreme Pro SSD Question FluJunkie Mac Pro 4 Mar 7, 2013 07:16 PM
OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro SSD problems dfarfan MacBook Pro 7 Feb 26, 2013 05:35 PM
Confirm? OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3G SSD jvaska Mac Pro 6 Dec 20, 2012 05:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC