Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Anyone know if Apple warranty covers screen glass cracks? I didn't drop it or do anything to it. It just started cracking underneath...so you can't even feel the crack on the surface.

It just started cracking underneath yesterday.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Apple does not cover external damages, unless you can prove that you haven't dropped it and it started cracking naturally.

You can always make an appointment to an Apple Store and get lucky and not have to pay, but the usual Out-of- Warranty fee for an iPhone is $199.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
If you live near an Apple Store I'd just head right there to see if you could get a replacement. I read somewhere that everyone is entitled to one screen replacement, I question the veracity of this statement though. But as the poster above pointed out, if you can prove that it was the manufacturer's fault, and you explain this properly to the store employees you will most likely get a positive answer from Apple support.

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
It all comes down to who you talk to. My wife went in and the guy said no genius bar (i chuckle every time i write or read 'genius') appointments were available today, but come back tomorrow for one and there will likely be a $40 charge. She went in the next day and the guy said there is no charge and they just need to order it.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
It all comes down to who you talk to. My wife went in and the guy said no genius bar (i chuckle every time i write or read 'genius') appointments were available today, but come back tomorrow for one and there will likely be a $40 charge. She went in the next day and the guy said there is no charge and they just need to order it.

The back glass plate can be easily replaced on site by removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the iPhone and Apple normally only charges $29 for this service, but I've read many stories in which Apple will wave that fee the first time.

But the front glass is glued together with the LCD screen, which makes it much more expensive and difficult to be done on site. For this they have to swap out the entire phone and which is why they charge the $199 fee.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
It's actually the front glass. I didn't drop it at all. The crack is occuring underneath the glass, not the surface (but above the lcd layer).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Make an appt with an apple genius and see what they have to say

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
They replaced it. Told me this hairline fracture stuff happens all the time. Defect with the glass probably.

Sixth iPhone 4 in ten months. Sixth time the charm?

What annoys me is that all my issues for my previous five iphone 4s are manufacturer problems...yet the warranty expires in a few months so I had to fork up another $79 for apple care. i swear the new phones they replace your defective ones are just refurbished ones. I have to go back every 2-3 months to get a new iphone. very annoying.

brief history: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1049301/

And for those that were wondering, the 4th iphone i got, the power button got stuck after a few months of usage.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
They replaced it. Told me this hairline fracture stuff happens all the time. Defect with the glass probably.

Sixth iPhone 4 in ten months. Sixth time the charm?

What annoys me is that all my issues for my previous five iphone 4s are manufacturer problems...yet the warranty expires in a few months so I had to fork up another $79 for apple care. i swear the new phones they replace your defective ones are just refurbished ones. I have to go back every 2-3 months to get a new iphone. very annoying.

brief history: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1049301/

And for those that were wondering, the 4th iphone i got, the power button got stuck after a few months of usage.

Your either very unlucky or very picky with your devices.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I'm thinking the later...

Not picky at all. When it doesn't work it doesn't work.

The device just doesn't work properly with any of the issues I've had before. The Apple store is the first to admit that these problems I've had are common, but its just rare that it happens to the same customer.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Boom. Power button got stuck on the 6th iPhone. Not picky. It just breaks should be apples new slogan lol.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Out of apple care. Not sure why you hoped that I was out of it though
...maybe because he's a vindictive ******? :p

That's quite a series of iPhone defects! My iPhone 4 has been perfect, hardware-wise...not a thing to complain about. Best phone I've ever had, physically-speaking. But my iPhone 3G and 3GSes were a different story, so I don't have a hard time believing you. :)

I have definitely run into people on these forums who have ridiculous complaints against Apple hardware and like to "play the system"; sometimes they even lie to get under-warranty replacements. Perhaps your previous responder viewed you as being "that type". But all of the complaints that you've laid out here sound legit to me.

-- Nathan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.