Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

The iMac and its graphics card

Does anyone know if the new iMac's graphics card is welded in like in the original one? The only thing that is keeping me from buying the new 17 inch model right now is my fear that I won't be able to run some high end games (like UT 2003). I've done manual work with computers before, like putting in more RAM and a new Hard Drive. Does anyone know if I can upgrade the new iMac's graphics card?
Freg3000 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:08 PM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

I don't know for sure, but just by looking at the thing it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't be just a regular AGP card in a slot, I reckon it's an onboard jobbie that would NOT be upgradeable...but then I could be wrong...does anyone know for sure?
Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:23 PM   #3
G5orbust
macrumors 65816

Im almost 99% sure that its soldered onto the mobo. Because of its all in one design, apple doesnt want you to replace part inside of it, like a graphics card. It probably wouldnt fit and most likely, the heat from a better graphics card (anything with more that 32 MB, hehe) would fry it cuz it has limited fan space. Screw the imac, go w/ a dual 867 and a crt and a radeon 9000 pro which will cost just as much and will be better.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 01:25 PM   #4
vniow
macrumors 603

Yep.

Sorry, it's soldered on.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/664b5...xwhj9ASwOdiee6
vniow is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2002, 01:34 PM   #5
alex_ant
Banned

Is that not the funkiest motherboard design ever, or what?
alex_ant is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2002, 01:36 PM   #6
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_ant
Is that not the funkiest motherboard design ever, or what?
I was just thinking the same thing, it's an amazing piece of design.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Thanks for that post edvniow, I am glad I actually saw proof positive of it being soldered on. Does anyone else agree with G5orbust about just dumping the iMac and going with the 867 Powermac? I was actually thinking about it, but the iMac looks so cool. I don't know, will the GeForce 4 MX be a problem down the road, even with current high-end games? Back tot he drawing board . . .
Freg3000 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2002, 02:47 PM   #8
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Freg3000
Does anyone else agree with G5orbust about just dumping the iMac and going with the 867 Powermac? I was actually thinking about it, but the iMac looks so cool.
YES! I agree 100%, you will get a far longer life out of a dual 867, plus a hell of a lot more power and the ability to expand and upgrade (within reason).
Old Sep 22, 2002, 06:30 PM   #9
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

While it's "possible" to replace the internal RAM, HDs, Optical Drives on the new iMacs - it's a foolish experiment unless you have a supply of thermal paste and pads, the machines tend to overheat if the heat circuit is broken.

On the eMac, the stuff is located around the CRT and the work becomes potentially dangerous/deadly to the person who does not discharge the CRT. And there are a bunch of thermal paste and pad locations that need replacement.

If you have desire to upgrade internally and potentially expect to outgrow the video before buying a new machine, buy a PowerMac.

Otherwise the only video upgade path available for those machines (iMac/eMac) is to buy a new machine.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 07:00 PM   #10
G5orbust
macrumors 65816

I said it before and ill say it again, imac≠gaming rig. On the otherhand, the dual 867 can support even the biggest of the baddest, the radeon 9700 pro, without problem. If u want even margional gaming preformace, go w/ the 867 rig i said at the beginning of the thread, plus more ram
Old Sep 22, 2002, 07:31 PM   #11
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be buying a Powermac I suppose, unless Apple does something with the iMac's graphics card.
Freg3000 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2002, 09:15 PM   #12
G5orbust
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Freg3000
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll be buying a Powermac I suppose, unless Apple does something with the iMac's graphics card.
yea like up it to 64 mb!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion