Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
seyh
macrumors newbie

Question iPhone 4 headphones - on PC with windows 7

Today I tried my iPhone 4 headphones with my PC. The pc has 2 ports, one with mic and heaphones and one just headphones. When I insert the headphones to the headphones only port (it does not fit all the way in of course) - it recognizes it as headphones, alas just one side works. When I insert it to the mic+headphones jack it recognizes the mic, but does not recognize the headphones and the sound keeps coming from the speakers.

Anyone had any similar issues? is it Hardware problem on the pc, or windows problem or a problem with the headphones? The headphones work fine with the phone though...
seyh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
seb-opp
macrumors 6502

the mic + headphones connector is just a microphone connector. Lots of PCs have one connector for sound output and one separate one for the mic. Many PC headsets work by having two connectors on the end of the cord, one plug goes into the headphone socket on the PC, the other connector into the mic socket. The iPhone headphone connector has merged them, which is why you see 3 white rings on the connector instead of two (for headphones) or one (for microphones).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:41 AM   #3
seyh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb-opp View Post
the mic + headphones connector is just a microphone connector. Lots of PCs have one connector for sound output and one separate one for the mic. Many PC headsets work by having two connectors on the end of the cord, one plug goes into the headphone socket on the PC, the other connector into the mic socket. The iPhone headphone connector has merged them, which is why you see 3 white rings on the connector instead of two (for headphones) or one (for microphones).
The mic+headphones port actually can accommodate the iphone headphones jack - which is longer cause of that 3 parts... What gives the idea that mic+headphones connector is just a mic connector? I dont get it...

Apart from the possibility that the port was not connected/wired as a mic+headphones connection?
seyh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone