Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So I my previous earphones just blew out (SkullCandy Titan's -$40). I loved em and thought they were great, but a bit uncomfortable at times. So now, I'm looking for some new earphones that are great all around. I'm not an audiophile so I don't need super mega ridiculously awesome earphones, but I do want earphones that give off relatively good bass while not making everything sound muffled, also the earphones must also give good sound.

I don't really have a price range, but if it's under $130, that's great, anything more is a bit much, so just post a link to the earphones you think are great and I'll check em out. Also, when you post about a certain type of earphones, please tell what's good/bad about them.

Thanks in advance. :)

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
i have the Klipsch S4i's they have the mic and controls on the cord, i think they are great

Have a set also and enjoy them. The wire is pretty fragile IMO ruined one pair in less than two weeks. The second set I have been much more gentle with and no issues. For rougher use I have a set of Sennheiser/adidas pmx 680i they have held up for about a year now of abuse. The sound quality is not as good as the s4i's but not breaking is a plus.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
The apple in-ear's are surprisingly good. I have them and love 'em! Plus it's only $79.

I had the Apple in-ear's for a while, too, but then I lost the tips and they don't have replacements for them... you need to buy a whole new set of apple in-ear's, although this may have changed as I first bought them shortly after they first came out which was about 2-3 years ago and back when they were $99 instead of $79.

Do you know if Apple now sells replacement tips for their in-ear headphones?

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Klipsch S4i image headphone blows apple headset out of the water. Amazon had them on sale for 79 dollars and I did not hesitate to pull the trigger. This headset usually goes for 99 dollars though.

Klipsch S4i is best bang for your buck. Not only it sounds freaking good, but it is light weight and it is fully compatible with your iOS devices.

99 dollars is too steep for me to justify on headset, but 79 dollars is no brainer on this thing.

Update: Buy S4i. Do not buy S4.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Klipsch S4i image headphone blows apple headset out of the water. Amazon had them on sale for 79 dollars and I did not hesitate to pull the trigger. This headset usually goes for 99 dollars though.

Klipsch S4i is best bang for your buck. Not only it sounds freaking good, but it is light weight and it is fully compatible with your iOS devices.

99 dollars is too steep for me to justify on headset, but 79 dollars is no brainer on this thing.

Update: Buy S4i. Do not buy S4.

Is there actually a noticeable difference in sound in the S4i's compared to the S4's, or is the price of the S4i more expensive because of the fact that it has the remote/mic? If so, I'd rather get the S4's as I NEVER used the remote/mic when I had the Apple In-Ear headphones.

If there is a difference in sound that makes the S4i's better than the S4's, I'll buy the S4's, but as I said, if the price is only marked up because of the in-line remote/mic, I'll save my money and get the S4's.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Right now I'm really looking at the Klipsch IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones and the Klipsch Image S4i In-Ear Headphones, but I do have some questions.

1.) Is there any difference in sound quality in the S4i's when compared to the S4's or is the price on the S4i's higher just because it includes the remote/mic?

2.) Can replacement tips be purchased for these in-ear headphones? If so, can you link me to them so I can bookmark the correct link, please?

3.) What kind of warranty do these in-ear headphones comes with? If I use these speakers and they blow out on me, can I get a free replacement like I can if I get Beats by Dr. Dre in-ear headphones?

4.) I NEVER use the remote/mic on any in-ear headphones that I buy, so the remote/mic on the S4i's are useless for me. Which in-ear headphones would you suggest I buy, the S4's ($79, no remote/mic), S4i's ($99, with remote/mic, but otherwise seems to be the same as the S4's)?

Thanks in advance. :)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Is there actually a noticeable difference in sound in the S4i's compared to the S4's, or is the price of the S4i more expensive because of the fact that it has the remote/mic? If so, I'd rather get the S4's as I NEVER used the remote/mic when I had the Apple In-Ear headphones.

If there is a difference in sound that makes the S4i's better than the S4's, I'll buy the S4's, but as I said, if the price is only marked up because of the in-line remote/mic, I'll save my money and get the S4's.

No. There is no sound difference. The difference in price is there because the fact that i has the remote/mic.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
No. There is no sound difference. The difference in price is there because the fact that i has the remote/mic.

Alright, then I'll save my money and get the S4's. I never use the remote/mic so it's pointless for me to have/spend more money on.

Thanks for the quick responses, by the way, everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.