Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google_sync_calendar_event.jpg

Google today announced that it has updated its Google Sync service to iOS, bringing several enhancements to the company's integrated syncing for mail, contacts and calendars when set up as a Microsoft Exchange account. The new features included searching of full email history, calendar event management, and support for "send mail as" options for users with multiple accounts.
Google Sync keeps your phone's native mail and calendar apps in sync with your Gmail, Calendar and Contacts. Today, three new updates to Google Sync for iOS will allow you to:

- Search all your emails in Gmail, not just the emails stored locally by the iOS mail app.
- Accept, decline or edit calendar events from the iOS calendar app.
- Send email from the address you want. We recognize that some of you manage multiple email addresses from a single Gmail account. Gmail’s "Send Mail as" feature lets you send messages with another email address listed as the sender instead of your Gmail address, e.g. joe@altostrat.com instead of joe@gmail.com. Now the iOS mail app will respect these settings.
The updated features should be automatically rolling out to all users utilizing the Google Sync service via a Microsoft Exchange-based account setup.

Article Link: Google Sync for iOS Updated With New Email Search, Calendar Events, 'Send Mail As'

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
So, did they finally fix the bug when Delete action moves email to All Mail folder instead of, you know, deleting it? In Exchange Delete=Archive, in IMAP everything works ok.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also important is: are we still limited to 3 email addresses and 2 phone numbers per contact?

Some of these limitations seem so arbitrary it's weird. We'll see.

Mikea0589

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Do we know if we will be limited to 5 calendars under exchange like we are now? That's a major issue for me. I have to "subscribe to my google calendar in iCal and then refresh iCal and sync my iPhone. Thusly, no live updating. Additional calendar syncing would be greatly appreciated.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
search on server isn't great. It does temporarily increase the count of unread emails to the number of search results. also seems the server search is capped at a hundred, which is fine. The "unread" number does revert after a while, but is very annoying.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Microsoft's Hotmail Activesync really needs to catch up. The push does not even work and Activesync on my iPod confuses my desktop outlook.

joolze

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Working fine for me. I went to m.google.com/sync on my iphone & clicked the Enable "Send Mail As" for this device option.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
dammit, did this too, but still no send as :(

That didn't change anything for me either. Dammit!

Going to try turning the account off & back on in settings...

EDIT: ok, I guess it IS working - just not the way I expected. When composing an email on the IOS device, the "from" field shows the original Gmail address but on the receiving end, the "from" field shows the "send as" address that I chose.

It makes sense that it works this way when I think about it, since Google can't control what the IOS device shows.

Woo-hoo - now I can keep my old 4 character Yahoo address and not have to deal with Yahoo. Yahooooo!

Last edited:

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Are you sure? Send an email to another account & check the "from" field on the receiving account. If you don't have another account - send an email to a friend (or create one).

inf

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Ate you sure? Send an email to another account & check the "from" field on the receiving account. If you don't have another account - send an email to a friend (or create one).

umm...

what I have is three different addresses in gmails settings...so is there a way to select the address where to send the mail? I guess not...

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
umm...

what I have is three different addresses in gmails settings...so is there a way to select the address where to send the mail? I guess not...

Ehh? You lost me. But I havent slept all night so what do I know. Go to yahoo or hotmail & create an account. Send an email to that account from your IOS device then check the email on that account you just created. Does the from field show what you expect?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This is great! Now I can send from all my aliases.

Huge step up!

inf

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

This is great! Now I can send from all my aliases.

Huge step up!

How do you do this? Do you have different accounts for all your aliases?

chekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
"Send as" from multiple addresses using IMAP

So actually there was always a way to do "send as". Unlike this newly-announced feature, it allows you to select the address to send from for each message.

The instructions below assume your gmail address is you@gmail.com, and the addresses you want to send from are you@domain.com and you@school.edu

1. First, make sure you have your Gmail account set up to be able to send from multiple addresses. I.e. when you compose a message from gmail.com, there should be a dropdown menu for the 'from' field.
  2. Set up a new IMAP mail account on your iphone as follows:
    Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendars->Add Account...->Other->Add Mail Account
    Enter your name, original gmail address, and gmail password
  3. On the next screen (IMAP settings), change the 'Address' Field to contain all the addresses you want to send from, *separated by commas* (e.g. you@school.edu,you@domain.com,you@gmail.com). Note that in that field, there is no comma character on the keyboard, so you will have to copy and paste it from another text field (like name). The first address will be your default 'send as' address.
  4. Continue to set up incoming and outgoing IMAP servers as normal for Gmail, using your full gmail address (you@gmail.com) as the username. I use imap.googlemail.com as the incoming server, and smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing server.
  5. Now when you compose an email from the native mail app, you will see the 'from' address field. If you click to expand, you can select from all the given addresses. (see screenshots below)

The tradeoff is that you have to use IMAP for mail instead of Exchange. This means you don't get push messages, but you can set the fetch mail interval to be pretty small without a major effect on battery life.
(note, I am on OS 4.3--I think this feature has been around for a while, though)

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    138.1 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    75.9 KB · Views: 115

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I've always been able to do these things...:confused:

My company of 250+ employees uses Google Apps for Enterprise. We've always been able to do things like Accept/Decline events from our iPhones...I'm confused.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
Use Google help people!!

Not sure if anyone realized this but the "send mail as" feature has to be turned on. It is NOT on by default. Directions here > http://goo.gl/AnW1G

So, did they finally fix the bug when Delete action moves email to All Mail folder instead of, you know, deleting it? In Exchange Delete=Archive, in IMAP everything works ok.

That's not a bug...it's designed that way since most people do not delete messages with Gmail accounts, they archive them for later use. You have to use the move function to delete them. As noted here > http://goo.gl/qAcbY

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Do we know if we will be limited to 5 calendars under exchange like we are now? That's a major issue for me. I have to "subscribe to my google calendar in iCal and then refresh iCal and sync my iPhone. Thusly, no live updating. Additional calendar syncing would be greatly appreciated.

I can sync up to 25 calendars...have you checked it out recently? As noted here > http://goo.gl/YDyw2

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006
What about syncing Contacts groups ?

Still no news about syncing contacts groups ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.