Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
So Im a little confused, looks like their cloud service lets us download the songs we've bought. And their matching service will let us download the songs we have on CDs.

Is there an option for streaming? I got a 16GB iPhone and it would be nice to stream all my music and save the space for apps.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Well heres the thing. Instead of having a music locker and streaming it to our iDevices Apple did this:

You purchase all your music through your iDevices or iTunes on the Mac.

No need to sync as it automatically transfers to all of your iDevices.

There is a back up that can be done through your iDevices that can back up your entire device through Apples servers in case it breaks and you wanted to buy another one.

Just sign into your iDevice and all your music, apps, photos, settings, ect downloads right back onto your iDevice.

Simple enough and I like it because if Apple takes it to where they would allow us to stream the music it would run down our limited data that we have and we would run to many times where signal isn't good to stream the music. Don't forget a battery killer.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
My thing is I feel like they should at least give the user the option of streaming their music. As I'm sure you're aware, people aren't necessarily always on 3g. Sometimes you may be on wifi and want to stream your music...you should have that option available to you. I am perfectly capable of monitoring my own data usage, I don't need Apple to do it for me. It just seems that they should at least have an option that would allow you to do that. Perhaps they could even have a little warning that comes up the first time you stream your music that warns you of increased data consumption. Just my thoughts.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
My thing is I feel like they should at least give the user the option of streaming their music. As I'm sure you're aware, people aren't necessarily always on 3g. Sometimes you may be on wifi and want to stream your music...you should have that option available to you. I am perfectly capable of monitoring my own data usage, I don't need Apple to do it for me. It just seems that they should at least have an option that would allow you to do that. Perhaps they could even have a little warning that comes up the first time you stream your music that warns you of increased data consumption. Just my thoughts.

maybe apple is saving the feature to release later

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
if you cant fit your entire music library on your iphone for example, which is the case for most people, can you remove songs on your iphone/ipad, without the need of a pac/mac and then download/sync the new content you want again without the need of pc/mac?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
if you cant fit your entire music library on your iphone for example, which is the case for most people, can you remove songs on your iphone/ipad, without the need of a pac/mac and then download/sync the new content you want again without the need of pc/mac?

Hopefully. One of the big new features of iOS 5 is that you will be PC Free.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Perhaps they could even have a little warning that comes up the first time you stream your music that warns you of increased data consumption. Just my thoughts.

Maybe data consumption isn't their primary concern? I think Apple may be concerned over the quality of the music, especially if you are streaming while doing other tasks on the phone. By forcing us to download the music it ensures the quality will be standard, and that the service will not get bad reviews from millions of users with poor connections.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

To be honest, if you can't then it would be a major oversight.

One of the major selling points of the digital music locker is that it gives you access to all your music even if you can't fit it on your device. However, if you can't delete existing music off the device without syncing then it would lose this benefit.

I expect that everyone will be able to delete music off their devices without syncing and (in the US at least) download purchased iTunes music. People who pay the $25 will be able to download anything from their library.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
No streaming from Apple. However you can DL Audiogalaxy for free and stream your music from your computer. If you don't mind having your computer on, it's a nice work around with a good UI. Better than Zumocast was back in the day.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

yes i seen a video last night of someone showing the new "music" app and you can make playlist on the device and delete songs without connectecting

on youtube search iOS 5 music app, and watch the video posted by iKryptic

Last edited:

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I use Orb to stream video and music. Works on PS3 and XBox360 as well. I use Orblive on the iPad and iPhone to stream about 6TB of data so overall, it's a pretty good solution that is lightweight in data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.