Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1
stanny
macrumors 6502

Watching movies on HDTV via iPad.

Hi, I've got an iPad 1. To use it to watch my iTunes movies on the HDTV I need to buy a iPad HDMI adapter then a HDMI to HDMI cable and connect it to the television? That's all? Also, is there anyway to use it to somehow sync movies from my computer instead?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:10 AM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Yep, you'll need the Digital AV Adapter from Apple. I haven't tried syncing with the adapter, but there isn't any reason to. Even if you did want to use it to sync with your machine, you'd still need a USB 30 pin cable plugged into the adapter.

Here's Apple's support page on the adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4108
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Dimmick
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
Hi, I've got an iPad 1. To use it to watch my iTunes movies on the HDTV I need to buy a iPad HDMI adapter then a HDMI to HDMI cable and connect it to the television? That's all? Also, is there anyway to use it to somehow sync movies from my computer instead?
Or you can get an AppleTV and use AirPlay to stream it for a better viewing experience. Otherwise you'll have some thick black bars on either side. (Eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMHCC9-kM)

This will work for iTunes movies, but not the mirroring that you will get with the adapter. That'll be up to you which one would be a better fit.
Dimmick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmick View Post
Or you can get an AppleTV and use AirPlay to stream it for a better viewing experience. Otherwise you'll have some thick black bars on either side. (Eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMHCC9-kM)

This will work for iTunes movies, but not the mirroring that you will get with the adapter. That'll be up to you which one would be a better fit.
You won't get black bars when watching iTunes movies as they are not in 1024x768 resolution which causes the bars.

EDIT* Notice in that video you posted at around 3:00, the You Tuber uses Netflix and the black bars are no longer there. It's all up to the video resolution that you are sending out.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:41 AM   #5
NorCalLights
macrumors 6502

Budget permitting, of course, instead of spending $40 on an adaptor, I'd rather spend $85 on a refurbished AppleTV. All of the extra features are more than worth the additional $45.
NorCalLights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:50 AM   #6
anush3
macrumors member

Quote:
Yeah buy refurbished Apple TV for $85...and you would not only get more features, you will not need to mess with cable every time you want to watch a movie through ipad. With IOS5, you could do mirroring as well using Apple TV.
In my view spending $85 for Apple TV is much wiser decision than spending more than $20 on cable.

Note: Black bars nothing to have to do with Apple TV or HDMI cable...black bar appears just because movie resolution doesn't match to that of TV.
anush3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #7
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

You can get the ATV 2 for 85 refurbed? I had no idea. I'd definitely go with that since the adapter is 40 and an HDMI cable locally can run you up to 20. At that point, you've spent 60 just to get mirroring and/or video out going. Totally not worth it compared an Apple TV for 85.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Dimmick
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
You won't get black bars when watching iTunes movies as they are not in 1024x768 resolution which causes the bars.

EDIT* Notice in that video you posted at around 3:00, the You Tuber uses Netflix and the black bars are no longer there. It's all up to the video resolution that you are sending out.
You're right, my bad. I don't use the AV adapter, so I was just remembering demos I'd seen; which were mirrors and not iTunes movies. Didn't really watch the vid (obviously).

Still think the Apple TV is the way to go for stuff like this. I would hate to be leashed to my tv like that.
Dimmick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:54 PM   #9
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmick View Post
You're right, my bad. I don't use the AV adapter, so I was just remembering demos I'd seen; which were mirrors and not iTunes movies. Didn't really watch the vid (obviously).

Still think the Apple TV is the way to go for stuff like this. I would hate to be leashed to my tv like that.
I completely agree. I've used my digital AV adapter a handful of times and it's kind of a pain. The only time it wasn't was when I watching WWDC 11 on my TV.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:31 PM   #10
stanny
macrumors 6502

Well that ain't going to work, because the place I am at does not sell Apple TV. So best bet still iPad 1 and the adapter + HDMI cable to watch iTunes movies on HDTV? Any place I can order an Apple TV online which delivers internationally?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Grubster
macrumors member

Quote:
Well that ain't going to work, because the place I am at does not sell Apple TV. So best bet still iPad 1 and the adapter + HDMI cable to watch iTunes movies on HDTV? Any place I can order an Apple TV online which delivers internationally?
Try.. www.apple.com
Not sure if they sell to every country or not. Or try Amazon or ebay.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad