Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozen220

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
If I can't get the Mac App Store on my machine, but I want to upgrade to Lion, how do I do that?

Can I download the Lion file on my Snow Leopard macbook and then copy the file to DVD to bring to my Mac Pro with 10.5 Server??

Please advise someone. Thanks!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yes, from a technical standpoint that should work (until the final release we won't know for sure, but there's at least a good chance). We haven't seen the license yet to know if Snow Leopard is a prerequisite, however. I would say from a good-faith standpoint doing what you suggest is fine, but we don't know yet if it fits into the licensing that Apple will use.

jW

frozen220

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Got the answer

Thanks for the tip. Just spoke to an Apple sales rep who looked into for me.

Apparently Lion will only install if the current machine is Snow Leopard. So in theory even if you manage to get it onto a disc I still couldn't upgrade from 10.5 Server > Lion.

However, I can install the $29 version of Snow Leopard first and then purchase Lion through the App Store, and then if I want the Server feature back I pay another few bucks to enable them.

Kinda sucks. And I'm surprised you have to have Snow Leopard first to upgrade. Oh well.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I would ignore anything said by an Apple Support rep at this point. They do not have any more information about unreleased products than anyone else. Wait until Lion is released and more information is known to make your decision.

jW

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I'm in a similar boat, I purchased a used Mac pro with 10.5 Server and I have two installs remaining from my Snow Leopard family pack OS disc but the Mac Pro will not let me install it because it is not the server edition.

I am reluctant to wipe out the HD as I do not have any of the original disks (the person selling this was extremely disorganized) so I am looking for any suggestions that will allow me to upgrade to 10.6.8.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.