Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdiva

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Just got my 15" referb 1.33 powerbook. I ordered a 15" w/ combo drive and 60gb hdd for 1499 from apple. Instead apple sent me a 15" w/ superdrive and 80gb hdd w/ the fancy glowing keyboard. Needless to say I am a VERY satisfied customer. My partner said apple may ask for it back.
Also if I get applecare does it cover the hardware I have or the hardware on the order?
Every thing works great- bumped the memory up to 1.25gb with a $155 1 gb chip and ran the hardware test 3 times. Love the new powerbook (new to me).

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
I've never bought a refurb, but from reading the forums I've read several instances when people get "bumped up" to a superdrive, or hard drive, or whatever. You're just one of the lucky ones!

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Nice!

Isn't the back lit keyboard a sweet option! Just got a new 15" powerbook from the apple store. heck if I had your kind of luck I might of opted for a refurbished model. Enjoy, and as far as Apple goes, no worries...I think Steve Jobs can spare an upgrade every now and then :rolleyes:

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Consider yourself one of the few lucky ones. Apple rarely screws up like this. They aren't going to ask for it back. You made out like a bandit, nice job!

maha

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
Apple won't ask for the powerbook back nor did they make a mistake. That's the good thing about refurbs - they consist of (sometimes) previously built to order machines that were sent back. Apple leaves the upgrades in.

I just ordered a refurb dual 2.5 and not only did it arrive with a gig of ram but also a 250gb hard drive.

And I haven't had one problem with it - just simply an amazing machine and an amazing deal!

enjoy!

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
so very lucky. Enojy! I think the only upgrade for free I've had was getting a grande mocha at starbucks because they were out of the tall cups. :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
dorqiekat said:
so very lucky. Enojy! I think the only upgrade for free I've had was getting a grande mocha at starbucks because they were out of the tall cups. :rolleyes:

I love the white chocolate mocha yummmmmmmm :D

dvdiva

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies. Anyone know if applecare would cover what the machine has in it like the superdrive? Really enjoying my new mac.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Getting more than you pay for isn't a problem, getting less is...

Usually the refurbs are listed with the minimum specs for a load of machines.

Some people will get exactly what they pay for, some will get upgraded machines, while some will even get speed bumped or newer machines if they run short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.