Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpletcher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Michigan
I am currently getting my associates in Programming and am really hoping to work at Apple one day as a software engineer. However I was wondering how does one eventually get a job at Apple.

Once I get my associates I am moving to Chicago and am trying to find a school that offers either a degree in Software Engineering or Software Development but to my dismay I couldn't find any. Therefor, I am thinking about getting a degree in Computer Science (no-matter the degree I am getting, it will be a Bachelors or above).

This also concerns me because seeing how I am just starting programming, which I love, I am still new to the terms and different types of languages. Will it matter much if the college that I attend to get one of the following degrees is not Mac oriented? I am reading a few books that teach Cocoa and Obj-C, but i don't think that will be enough.

Any information regarding degrees or if anyone knows of a recommended college in Chicago would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Apple, could care less really about degrees if you have the experience equivalent, your best bet to get inside Apple is to Network with people who know folks in Cupertino... For instance if I really wanted to get inside Apple to work and had the necessary experience for the position I'm going for, then I would call my friend who has a son that works in the R&D department at Apple. Again Networking is key to many things, and in this scenario jobs.

I suggest you look at Apples divisions and cater your degree around it.

Also work very hard, and do your own projects, obviously know OS X. If it's something you really want then by all means go for it.

Also a little prayer goes a loooong way. :)

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
You will need to not just get through the CS classes, but actually learn the material. And on top of that you should be working on projects in your free time. A company like Apple is not going to hire people who are not already passionate (and talented) about writing code. Being able to point at software you have worked on in a real-world situation is going to be a lot more impressive than listing a couple of classroom projects.

Find some bit of open-source software that you are interested in, and start helping to develop it. Often a good starting point is to start writing unit tests. It is something that many developers don't like doing, or don't take the time to do, so is easier to get accepted into a project. It is also an area where you can't mess up the final product, and have the chance both to get familiar with the codebase and make some difference in the quality of the code.

Make sure that you enjoy working on a project, and try to eventually contribute code to that project. Being able to point at a feature that you implemented is a great thing to have on a resume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.