Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:47 PM   #1
SirLollipopMan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Is There a Way to INCREASE Safari's Cache?

I use an internet service that has a bandwidth cap of 5 GB per month, and in the interest of getting the most out of it, I was wondering if there were any way to prevent Safari from dumping items in the cache.

Thanks in advance.
SirLollipopMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Young Spade
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLollipopMan View Post
I use an internet service that has a bandwidth cap of 5 GB per month, and in the interest of getting the most out of it, I was wondering if there were any way to prevent Safari from dumping items in the cache.

Thanks in advance.
I don't uh... hmm. You're trying to cut down on bandwith but... the cache files are stored on your computer, they don't have an impact on your bandwidth? I don't think?

What makes you think the cache is the problem?
Young Spade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
SailorTom
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
I understand. The OP wants Safari to cache more of the internet, so that when they revisit sites they won't be using the download allowance so much.

I'm also interested in doing this, more just to speed up my browsing, but I think these issues are not related to how big the cache is, but what safari actually caches. For example, I don't think PHP files gets cached on the assumption they are dynamic and always changing. This is not always the case though, example in point being a blog that doesn't get updated for 3 months.

Perhaps some other can shed more light on how the cache works?
SailorTom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Tumbleweed666
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Spade View Post
I don't uh... hmm. You're trying to cut down on bandwith but... the cache files are stored on your computer, they don't have an impact on your bandwidth? I don't think?

What makes you think the cache is the problem?
He doesn't, its just a poorly phrased sentence, I thought he meant what you thought the first time I read it.

What he wants is a way to have more cache so less is downloaded in total. However I think that's not going to be much use, because 5Gb isn't much and he'd have to cache such a lot to make a difference that Safari would slow down to a crawl, as it spent a huge amount of time searching through the cache for every single page element. I suppose if its slowed down enough, it might limit his downloads by virtue of that low speed, but that's probably not what he is seeking to accomplish

One way to verify this would be to use Firefox, whose cache can be increased, up it to say 5Gb and see what happens.
__________________
27" late 2013 iMac, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, OSX 10.9.2
Tumbleweed666 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:36 AM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Install Flash blocker.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:34 AM   #6
Makosuke
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Cool Part of CA, USA
First, what Safari does and doesn't cache is determined in more or less the same way as any other browser. When you load any element on a web page--the page itself (dynamically generated or otherwise), the stylesheet, an image, etc--it comes with an expiration date. Just about any modern browser will use that to determine when to next ask for the item is. Even then, the browser will usually just ask whether the element has changed since the last time it was retrieved, and if the answer is no (status 304), it doesn't bother downloading it again. That MacRumors logo at the top of the page, for example, was last modified on May 2nd, and has an expiration date one month from whenever it was downloaded. So your browser won't even check until mid-July, at which point if it hasn't changed, it still won't download it.

Coming back to the original question, you basically want Safari to save as much stuff as possible so you get as many 304 (not modified) results as possible.

And the method is, more or less, not to do anything--Safari will generally cache most stuff to disk until the expiry date when left to its own devices.

Leaving Safari open also helps--you can tell by its huge RAM usage that it's quite greedy about keeping stuff in memory to make navigation go as fast as possible.

One thing you definitely don't want to do is use Chrome; in an effort to make page loads faster it does all kinds of prefetch, up to and including (in the latest version) pre-loading the top Google hit as soon as you do a search. You can probably turn that off, but if you want to be stingy with bandwidth I'd wager it's better not to even run the risk.

Final note: If you're ONLY web browsing, I seriously doubt 5GB is going to be an issue--even with modern web pages, that's a lot of HTML and pictures. If, however, you want to spend some of those GB on watching video or downloading large files, that's an entirely different matter.

Last edited by Makosuke; Jun 18, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Young Spade
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
He doesn't, its just a poorly phrased sentence, I thought he meant what you thought the first time I read it.

What he wants is a way to have more cache so less is downloaded in total. However I think that's not going to be much use, because 5Gb isn't much and he'd have to cache such a lot to make a difference that Safari would slow down to a crawl, as it spent a huge amount of time searching through the cache for every single page element. I suppose if its slowed down enough, it might limit his downloads by virtue of that low speed, but that's probably not what he is seeking to accomplish

One way to verify this would be to use Firefox, whose cache can be increased, up it to say 5Gb and see what happens.
if you see my post, the OP said "prevent" though and I think he just went and changed everything to increase; that's why I was confused.
Young Spade is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there a way to pre-download the ios update? itsjustmeee iOS 5 and earlier 6 Nov 21, 2011 12:03 PM
Is there a way to increase ipod (music) the volume for listening with headphones? Ivabign iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Oct 13, 2011 01:51 PM
Is there a way to increase RAM and internal storage capacity technoawareness iPad Hacks 5 Jun 29, 2011 11:54 AM
Is there any way to increase the maximum length of an episode in GarageBand? Aayush Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Dec 14, 2008 03:04 AM
10.4.9 volume restore - is there a way to increase volume? Britanium Digital Audio 0 Aug 10, 2007 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC