Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aeroscotia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Hey,
I ordered a custom Imac a week ago. It has now shipped from China to UK and I have an expected delivery date of 26th July.
I just noticed, however, that cos I ordered a keyboard with a number pad it's not wireless and so want to change this to a regular wireless keyboard (with no num pad).
Just phoned Apple and they said there was nothing they could do as it had shipped and that I should call them back when it's delivered.
Just wondered if anyone else experienced a similar situation and what the outcome was.
Many thanks!

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
That's funny. I meant to order my iMac with a wired keyboard and forgot to switch it when I placed my order. I figure it's too late to do anything about it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegasman

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
I got my 21.5" base 2011 iMac from PC World. I wanted the wired keyboard for the two usb ports on it. The sales girl said that the boxes are sealed and it will cost an extra £40 for the wired version. I um'd & arh'd with the sales girl until she had a word with her manager who gave me the wired keyboard for free if I took the 3 year Apple care (which I was planning on doing anyway)

I also had it on buy now- pay in 9 months interest free with a 10% deposit, so happily walked out with two boxes. I did think about selling the wireless keyboard on e-bay but if you look, you'll find they are a lot of them on there and don't cost too much, so I'd suggest that e-bay may be your best bet and keep the wired as a back up.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
if you have an Apple retail store locally...

They should swap it out no questions asked. In fact I spoke to a store rep about this yesterday and she confirmed 'yes we do in-store swap outs for keyboards'.

aeroscotia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks for the replies!
Just incase anyone's interested I spoke to an Apple representative and the resolution was that cos of the value of my order they'd send me out a wireless keyboard for free. Hooray! I had thought I'd have to wait for delivery then bomb it to my 'local' (90miles away) Apple store and swap the keyboard. So at least now I can play with my purchase straight away.
I have configured it to a pretty hi spec so I'm very pleased with the way Apple have treated me. I'm converting from PC so it's a very positive introduction to Apple customer support. Really symapthetic guy on the telephone. Very impressed. Very happy.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Apple used to manufacture those once upon a time.

http://bit.ly/kcOGuu

Luckily, I've still got mine. :D

I love the 'old' look on those keys - when you press it, does it make the sound of keyboards in 1990's films? - 'cause I love that sound. Really (put it this way - when the iPad 2 jailbreak comes out I'm changing the sound of the 'click' when you tap on the on-screen keyboard). The new keyboards sound good, but you can't beat the sound of the old ones. The good ol' days.

And, OP, as long as you're in the 14 day period (from receiving your keyboard), Apple will exchanging it no questions asked - they're usually (there's always the odd employee that'll be a bit - lets say: strict; but Apple's managers are good at picking people - at least in Sheffield, and Manchester) very good like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.