Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a PDF documenting (PDF link) how large business and educational customers with many Macs will upgrade to Lion via the Mac App Store. It appears that even for those customers, Apple will not be offering Lion via physical media. Like the consumer release, OS X Lion will be available via online delivery only.

business.jpg

Apple will offer business customers volume license contracts for $29.99 per license, with a minimum of 20 licenses. Education customers can purchase the Apple Software Collection (Mac OS, iLife and iWork) starting at $39 per license, starting at 25 licenses.

For customers wanting OS X Lion Server, it will be available as an add-on for $49.99, in addition to the $29 upgrade for standard Lion. Snow Leopard Server is not required to purchase Lion Server, however existing Snow Leopard Server installations can only be upgraded to Lion Server. Both Lion and Lion Server need to be purchased for Snow Leopard Server-equipped machines.

To actually download Lion, volume license customers will receive one redemption code for each contract. The redemption code can be used to download Lion from the Mac App Store. When the redemption code is entered, the Lion installer will download to the Applications folder, but will not install immediately. This Lion installer is used to install Lion on other systems. Download once, install many times.

IT departments will be able to use the same mass installation techniques they use today. To install Lion on multiple systems, they'll copy the Install Mac OS X Lion application from the Mac App Store to each target system. Once copied, the installer will be launched and Lion will install in place. There is no need to boot from an external disk. Administrators will also be able to use System Image Utility in OS X Lion Server to create NetInstall or NetRestore Images.

Apple has announced that they will be releasing OS X Lion in July.

Article Link: Apple Details Lion Purchase Process for Business and Education

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
That price drop on Lion Server is enormous. I can't get over it.

What would be the support option for the $50 server "app" ? If my server app blows up middle of the night do I still get to call Apple about it? (Not dealt with prior server versions so not sure if that was possible even before.)

Bonch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
How does this help someone like me with a medical clinic and ten macs? It still sounds like a PITA.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I still don't quite understand how Apple expects Leopard and earlier users to upgrade to Lion if they only do digital delivery via Mac App Store. Are they still going to sell Snow Leopard DVDs, so you upgrade twice? That would be very un-apple like.

Most users who didn't upgrade to snow leopard probably won't upgrade to lion either, so this is probably not really an issue for apple. For those still running leopard, you're already one release behind, so upgrading to snow leopard now will be exciting for those people.

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
i hate the whole mac app store download thing, why cant we have it on flash drives or something, thats what they did with the macbook air reinstall.

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
How does this help someone like me with a medical clinic and ten macs? It still sounds like a PITA.

Should be pretty easy I think. Create an apple id for the business. Purchase Lion. Download it on one Mac. Restore the InstallESD.dmg to a usb drive. Upgrade on all the macs.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I wonder if Apple will offer fee SL via the web to Tiger and Lion users?

I'm not in need myself. But there seems to be a few people affected by this. It is a small minority though because the statistics show SL has been adopted by a large majority of Mac users which is impressive. In the Windows world it is 25% W7, 25% XP and the rest use other versions. I only used it occasionally so I can compare but I guess XP was pretty popular for many Windows users.

Anyway Apple can't expect to make sales of SL now with Lion out for $29. So why not let people download it if necessary or release an App Store for Tiger and Leopard that can download one thing: Lion.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Most users who didn't upgrade to snow leopard probably won't upgrade to lion either, so this is probably not really an issue for apple. For those still running leopard, you're already one release behind, so upgrading to snow leopard now will be exciting for those people.

Some people don't upgrade EVERY release. They upgrade every other release, or when they feel the features apply enough to them to warrant an upgrade.

I'm set, as I run 10.6. But I know a number of folks who are going to be left behind by Apple's plan.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
well im waiting to see what the re-install options are for lion equipped new macs when its released..

i wont be upgrading to lion unless i have physical media and can do a clean install.

is this a hint that all future macs will be dropping built in superdrives ?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The price is now more in-line with the quality of Apple's server products. :rolleyes: Mac OS X Server has always been crap, and I really don't expect Lion Server to be any better.

Crap how? (seriously asking, never used it)

Like, worse than a free LAMP setup?

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Should be pretty easy I think. Create an apple id for the business. Purchase Lion. Download it on one Mac. Restore the InstallESD.dmg to a usb drive. Upgrade on all the macs.

problem with that is when I burned InstallESD.dmg of DP4 to a DVD and went to boot from disc it took over 3 1/2 hours to actually load up to the first screen and then another 8 hours to install...

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
This works for me! I'm glad they responded with this, it'll make my life easier with upgrading all of our Macs (once the requisite testing period is over, of course).

It will be interesting to see how the new SMB stack works in conjunction with AD.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
well im waiting to see what the re-install options are for lion equipped new macs when its released..

i wont be upgrading to lion unless i have physical media and can do a clean install.

You can do a clean install now, but don't get your hopes up with getting physical media. It's pretty clear now that the Restore partition is its replacement.

problem with that is when I burned InstallESD.dmg of DP4 to a DVD and went to boot from disc it took over 3 1/2 hours to actually load up to the first screen and then another 8 hours to install...

Restore it to an partition or USB key instead. Install takes 20 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.