Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Does anyone have a link for the QT mov of Steve Jobs' keynote at WWDC 2000? I'd really like to see the first demo of OSX, just for fun. Anybody have it or know where I can find?

Thanks!

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
You know it would be really cool to find (or create) an archive of all these keynotes. It'd be real fun to one day whip them out and look at them.....

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Some people on MacNN had uncovered the direct URLs for loads of Apple's old keynotes back around the time of this year's MWSF. Unfortunately, Apple got wind and removed them from their server, forwarding everyone to a Björk album page instead.

The only one of them that's still active is - ironically - the very first unveiling of Aqua at MWSF 2000. It's still in a pre-beta stage - DP3 IIRC - and very rough round the edges, but it's quite an entertaining watch.

It's a 588MB Quicktime video, which I think doesn't actually stream, merely a download. Therefore I recommend option clicking this link to download.

Enjoy - and if anyone has any other functioning links, I'd love to know them.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
i love watching the keynotes, especially if i havnt seen them before. Apple should put a whole collection of them in the pro section and call it pro/presentation. I learned alot from watching the keynotes, and made a very successful keynote of my own a few months ago for my government class at my old school, did the whole thing in flash, modeled after the keynote theme that Steve uses, and rather than just sitting up there reading off of poorly designed boring powerpoint slides like everyone else, people stayed interested and actually payed attention to the whole thing. I rehearsed it and had a script of sorts and everything, it was great. Though it took me roughly 40+ hours to build the presentation interface and loader in SwishMax, the presentation itself took about 3 days to build. Anyways yeah, I've learned about more than Apple's products and services by watching the keynotes, and I think they're a great educational tool.

oh and thanks for the link, i found a site on google yesterday that had some clips from pre 2002 keynotes, but i cant seem to find it in my history=\

i even found a really old video of Steve demonstrating NexTStep from like 1992 or something

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I've spent countless hours looking for past keynotes. You'll never find the ones you want. Apple has something against things like that, they're funny. But thanks for the link.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
daveway00 said:
That was a great keynote. Do we still have kidsafe? Aqua was obviously shocking. Steve also announced his becoming CEO and I have to admit it was emotional.

that was a GREAT KEYNOTE!!! Thanks thequicksilver!

I never knew about kidsafe, it's a shame the os9 demos had so many problems.

The becomming CEO part was my favorite, thats the loudest applause I've ever heard from an Apple event and it almost brought tears to my eyes, how amazing that must feel to have hundreds of people clapping for you and what you've done for a company.

It was also really cool to see the people from the other companies come up after seeing OS X, and what a loss of words they had. If Apple ever bought TV time on a major network for one of the big keynotes, I think they'd get millions of switchers in a matter of days, I don't see how anyone could defend of think of windows in the same way after seeing an entire keynote.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Kassandra said:
that was a GREAT KEYNOTE!!! Thanks thequicksilver!

I never knew about kidsafe, it's a shame the os9 demos had so many problems.

The becomming CEO part was my favorite, thats the loudest applause I've ever heard from an Apple event and it almost brought tears to my eyes, how amazing that must feel to have hundreds of people clapping for you and what you've done for a company.

It was also really cool to see the people from the other companies come up after seeing OS X, and what a loss of words they had. If Apple ever bought TV time on a major network for one of the big keynotes, I think they'd get millions of switchers in a matter of days, I don't see how anyone could defend of think of windows in the same way after seeing an entire keynote.

My exact thoughts. In the books, one of the greatest keynotes, it marked the rebirth of Apple.

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
daveway00 said:
My exact thoughts. In the books, one of the greatest keynotes, it marked the rebirth of Apple.
indeed
icon14.gif

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Nice, thanks for the link ;)

I agree that there should be an archive of them all somewere, that would be nice :D

Suspended
Mar 29, 2004
daveway00 said:
That was a great keynote. Do we still have kidsafe? Aqua was obviously shocking. Steve also announced his becoming CEO and I have to admit it was emotional.

Its good to know I'm not the only one who watched it. :eek: :D ;)

It was really good. I never knew the first dock was so ugly. OS X has come a long way. :rolleyes:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I was thinking "Yeah sure" when Quark were on stage saying they would be getting ready for OSX. HA.

It is also interesting how OSX was back then, the dock is so different now. But so were some of the other elements of UI. I started with 10.2 btw.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Pleased to have helped. :)

I have to say I found the keynote interesting for many of the wrong reasons.

That dock - what were they thinking? I don't so much mean the solid tiles, more the way it worked - there was no cohesion at all to it. The interface he demoed there is one of the least coherent I've ever seen.

Now we've seen Exposé, Single Window Mode looked dreadful.

It also hammered home just how much Apple have progressed in the last five years. OS 9 was a mess - and as a Mac user only since 2003 I have to say - it looked dire.

Didn't like the font used on the keynote slides either. :)

iTools must have been great back in 2000 - shame .mac ruined it.

I wonder if Apple actually now are one of the 10 most profitable internet companies now, as Jobs predicted?

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Well if someone has webspace, I can contribute these:

Media Event 1999 (Launch of iMac Rev B)
MWNY 1999 (Launch of iBook & Airport)
MWNY 2002 (Jaguar, 17" iMac G4, 2G iPods and .mac - the crowd stays deathly silent during the .mac announcement)
MWSF 2000 (as posted in this thread)
Paris 2004 (iMac G5)
Seybold 1999 (OS 9, Powermac G4 and original flat panel Cinema Display)
WWDC 2003 (Panther, iSight and Powermac G5)
WWDC 2004 (Tiger & aluminium displays).

If anyone does have any to swap, get in touch - I'm always looking to fill in the gaps. Would particularly like to get MWSF 01 (OS X and TiBook) and MWNY 00 (Cube).

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
thequicksilver said:

MWNY 2002 (Jaguar, 17" iMac G4, 2G iPods and .mac - the crowd stays deathly silent during the .mac announcement)
Paris 2004 (iMac G5)

If anyone does have any to swap, get in touch - I'm always looking to fill in the gaps. Would particularly like to get MWSF 01 (OS X and TiBook) and MWNY 00 (Cube).
Wow, cool... how about Bit torrent'ing them somewhere?

(I guess it'd have to go on a dodgy tracker, cause of the copyright held by Apple)

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
I'm on a shared connection, and Bittorrent wouldn't be fair on those sharing. I could leave things to FTP one by one overnight though, which would be a one off hit.

Also, my Mac's an iBook which spends about half of its week on the road with me, so it's not realistic - nobody would ever get them. :)

Kassandra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I can setup an ftp on my machine for you to upload to, i used to have some webspace but not anymore.

Message me on AIM or something.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
thequicksilver said:
I'm on a shared connection, and Bittorrent wouldn't be fair on those sharing. I could leave things to FTP one by one overnight though, which would be a one off hit.
Well, if you're concerned about your bandwidth then BT is definitely better. How about you offer, say, one every two days until they're done. You'll probably only have to upload the full size of the movie once before others take the load off you, then you can quit and leave those who have acquired it from you to seed. FTP is much less forgiving (read: not at all) -- whoever is hosting will have to give the full size of the movie to each client...

but then, if it's not your bandwidth... *shrug*

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
thequicksilver said:

Paris 2004 (iMac G5)

If anyone has webspace please give this person a bit of space for this :p

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
brap said:
Well, if you're concerned about your bandwidth then BT is definitely better. How about you offer, say, one every two days until they're done. You'll probably only have to upload the full size of the movie once before others take the load off you, then you can quit and leave those who have acquired it from you to seed. FTP is much less forgiving (read: not at all) -- whoever is hosting will have to give the full size of the movie to each client...

but then, if it's not your bandwidth... *shrug*

Maybe my experience of BT is different to yours, but the second people get stuff, they bugger off. It'd leave me with a commitment I can't keep, especially when I only have 30kbps upload.

I've found URLs for some of the ones I've posted above though - enjoy.

Apple Media Event 1999

MWNY 1999

Seybold 1999

Will that tide you all over? :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
thequicksilver said:
Maybe my experience of BT is different to yours, but the second people get stuff, they bugger off. It'd leave me with a commitment I can't keep, especially when I only have 30kbps upload.

I've found URLs for some of the ones I've posted above though - enjoy.

Apple Media Event 1999

MWNY 1999

Seybold 1999

Will that tide you all over? :)

Thank you very much, :D but would still like to see those others :eek:

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Did you option click and download it all, or wait for it to stream? As I said - it doesn't stream, so unless you download the entire 588MB, you ain't going to get much other than a big blue Q in your browser window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.