Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'd just download Firefox and Chrome and compare to Safari, and see which you like best. There's no definitive best browser, only preferences. Personally, I like Firefox, but I know there are a lot of Chrome fans out there, and some people stick with Safari because it's already there or out of preference.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I liked safari on mac until i realised how buggy it is compared to others. Try chrome, you'll love it.

Skizoboy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Firefox has cool extensions but they make it buggy and a real hog. And since it's not very interesting "out of the box"… you get my point.

Safari is great and lightweight but the interface is outdated and you can't customise it at all which sometimes makes it a pain to use…

Chrome has the same rendering engine as Safari. It might be (very) slightly slower and its interface isn't customisable either but it feels really good and up to date.
I'd recommend Chromium well over Chrome though. (This is the open-source project Chrome is based on. Same software without Google's spywares…)

Last edited:

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Opera is very nice. It takes awhile to start up compared to safari, but pages load much faster and clicking back doesn't refresh the page.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
which browser is a preference thing. i personally use safari. i've used all of the browsers before and i tried safari simply because it was there. i like the simple customization and the feel of it right now. perhaps later on I will switch.

hell, nothing says you can't have more than one, either.

Robbyzbot

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
I thought Chrome, but.......

I really liked chrome, but it has been having bugs. When I'm on youtube, most videos play excellent, but other skip badly. It's not my internet, and the audio is continuous, but the video skips. Also, starting today, on most videos, chrome doesn't even show the video, it has audio, but no video. If anyone knows what the problem is please let me know.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
what i use

-for mac os (9.2.2) -classilla (really no other option if you want to use mac os with modern web pages)
-for ppc with osx tiger,leopard -camino (like the default flash and ad off option,also the speed)
-for intel -firefox (for some plugins that i would miss using safari or chrome)

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Chrome - it sets the bar for all web browsers.

They are all pretty great in general these days. Opera. although nice, isn't really supported in a lot of web sites because of it's low market share.

Chrome / Safari
-use the Webkit rendering Engine

Firefox
-uses Gecko rendering engine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.