Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skrillex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Hello everyone and thanks for reading this.
Today when I was driving on my motorcycle it was raining very bad, and my iPhone got wet. It gave me a message that A device was not made to work with iPhone when I didnt have anything plugged in.
The symptoms now are that I have a very very dark screen and cannot change the brightness at all. I need an external light source to view the screen. And my speakers do not play any Lock screen noise nor sound/music. Though my speaker works when using speaker during a phone call.

Please help me, thanks :)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Probably too late to save it because you used it after it got wet.

You can take it to the Apple Store, and they'll let you buy a new one for $199. It's possible that they won't charge you, but their policy is to charge.

Sucks dude. Next time use a ziploc ;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Stop using it and dry it out totally in a bag of rice for a few days. If it still has the screen problem, you “might” be able to replace only the screen and be okay. Otherwise, pay $199, like Surely wrote.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Stop using it and dry it out totally in a bag of rice for a few days. If it still has the screen problem, you “might” be able to replace only the screen and be okay. Otherwise, pay $199, like Surely wrote.

The impression I have is that if you use it after it gets wet, it's too late for the rice method. No?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
The impression I have is that if you use it after it gets wet, it's too late for the rice method. No?

Not always; it depends on how wet the iPhone got in the first place. As usual with these things though, your mileage may vary.

As you suggest, tho - it's not rocket science to realise that it's never a good idea to turn on and attempt to use any soaked device (no matter how tempting it might be) without first taking steps to thoroughly dry the device - i.e. the rice method.

The OP should refrain from using the device for the next couple of days while it dries out completely.

RTP.

Skrillex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Not always; it depends on how wet the iPhone got in the first place. As usual with these things though, your mileage may vary.

As you suggest, tho - it's not rocket science to realise that it's never a good idea to turn on and attempt to use any soaked device (no matter how tempting it might be) without first taking steps to thoroughly dry the device - i.e. the rice method.

The OP should refrain from using the device for the next couple of days while it dries out completely.

RTP.

Hello, my speakers are now working properly but screen is still dark.
I now put my iphone into our heating room where it is quite warm.
I hope it works soon.
What is that rice method thing? How do I do that? Thanks

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Oh, of course. I guess I was referring to the type of situation that the OP is in, not if it gets just a bit wet and no symptoms occur like the OP is describing.

RTP.

Yeah, that's what he should have done. Hopefully he'll be one of the lucky ones and it'll still work, but it's doubtful.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
What is that rice method thing? How do I do that? Thanks

See that bag of rice you have in the cupboard? Plonk your iPhone into it. Don't shake it up or you'll risk rice going down the headphone jack. Just place your iPhone in the bag and seal it.

Then just leave it for a few days - if you're in a sunny place, leave it where it can benefit from the sun, but obviously be sensible about this.

The rice will draw out the moisture from the phone.

After three or four days, power it up while keeping your fingers crossed ;) if your phone was *really* soaked, you might have to leave it for longer.

Bonus points: if your iPhone works after its ordeal, use the rice to make a celebratory meal!

RTP.

Granitel

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Does water damage look like this on an iPhone screen?

you can replace your screen for ~$20.

Do you think this problem shown in the picture below was water damage that can be likewise repaired for $20?

attachment.php

More details and pictures are in this thread trying to find out (unsuccessfully) what the problem is and what the likely resolution should be.

If it's simple water damage, that I can understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.