Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I AM SO DUMB THAT I DELETED THOUSANDS OF SMS WITH JUST A SWIPE OF MY FINGER!!!!!
Please! Could someone tell me how to get them back?????? The bad news is that I disabled back-ups in iTunes so I have anything to recover from.

Last edited:

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I AM SO DUMB THAT I DELETED THOUSANDS OF SMS WITH JUST A SWIPE OF MY FINGER!!!!!
Please! Could someone tell me how to get them back?????? The bad news is that I disabled back-ups in iTunes so I have anything to recover from.

i dont think you can. unless you are running iOS5 and you backed up to the cloud.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Disabled backup in iTunes. Deleted on iPhone......bad news OP.

Repeat after me:
Backups are our friends. Backups are good. Backups are nice. Be kind, rewind.

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
because backing-up always took so long..... don't feel like doing it every time I connect iphone to iTunes.

Gosh.. I WANT MY SMS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Always amazed by people who care so much about losing SMS. I mean how many of you have ever gone back more than 1 month of SMS to read them over again. Most of the time they just are filled up and so much noise. There is no way to really search them to find something you want and there is not anything on the iPhone that I know of that would need or could learn from them like swiftkey on andriod.

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Oh hahahahahahahahha
Just found the file containing all old sms in the iphone's file system.:)

I'm so happy right now. Problem solved~~~

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Always amazed by people who care so much about losing SMS. I mean how many of you have ever gone back more than 1 month of SMS to read them over again. Most of the time they just are filled up and so much noise. There is no way to really search them to find something you want and there is not anything on the iPhone that I know of that would need or could learn from them like swiftkey on andriod.

Yeah you're right. But these sms are from my girlfriend.. she wants to save a copy.
Anyways, I've recovered them.

Thanks so much for everyone's help~!

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah you're right. But these sms are from my girlfriend.. she wants to save a copy.

Your girlfriend wants you to save a copy of all the texts she's sent you to YOUR phone?

:confused: :eek:

Whatever floats her boat I guess.

In all seriousness though, how did you recover them?

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
because backing-up always took so long..... don't feel like doing it every time I connect iphone to iTunes.

Gosh.. I WANT MY SMS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You still could of done a backup once a week or something by right-clicking on the phone in iTunes.

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Your girlfriend wants you to save a copy of all the texts she's sent you to YOUR phone?

:confused: :eek:

Whatever floats her boat I guess.

In all seriousness though, how did you recover them?

i wanted all the sms sent between us, good memories to have.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I understand about wanting to keep memories. No problem, to each their own I say.

But you say that backing up took so long. My wife has the exact same complaint. Here's why: she only backs up once every 3 months....maybe. It takes her about 25 minutes. Crazy stuff...

I sync every day. Takes maybe 4 or 5 minutes. So sync every day if you can. You'll notice a difference, and you'll be safe.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

Well isn't that just great news.

Apparently 'deleted' SMS messages aren't actually removed.

Apple fail.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
I understand about wanting to keep memories. No problem, to each their own I say.

But you say that backing up took so long. My wife has the exact same complaint. Here's why: she only backs up once every 3 months....maybe. It takes her about 25 minutes. Crazy stuff...

I sync every day. Takes maybe 4 or 5 minutes. So sync every day if you can. You'll notice a difference, and you'll be safe.

I sync everyday and my backups take like 30-45 seconds.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I've never had a backup take more than about 30 seconds unless I just added some big apps. Why does it take some people so long? I back up all the time. Maybe that's the answer. :confused:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Backups only take a long time if you sync infrequently. If you sync every few days, it shouldn't be a problem.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Well isn't that just great news.

Apparently 'deleted' SMS messages aren't actually removed.

Apple fail.
Aren't SMSs stored in a DB on the device? It would seem like Apple is just marking them for removal (if so) instead of flat out removing the DB entry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.