Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessearl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
I see in a lot of people's docks that they have a spring-looking thing next to their trashcan.

Mine isn't there. What is it supposed to be for and how do I get it there again?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
jessearl said:
I see in a lot of people's docks that they have a spring-looking thing next to their trashcan.

Mine isn't there. What is it supposed to be for and how do I get it there again?
It's a shortcut that starts the Web browser and takes to the Apple site, if memory serves me. I always remove it; all it does is take up Dock space, since Safari is already in the Dock and has a Apple link in the bookmark bar.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
When you control-click on the spring (or just click and wait for a contextual menu), you get a "URL" designation, so I guess it's just a URL to Apple's OS X web page with a custom icon. Unlike everything else in your Dock, the spring doesn't appear to represent an actual file on your computer, otherwise it would offer to "Show in Finder".

You can drag your own Apple URL to the Dock, but I don't think you can get that custom icon. The only time I've ever seen that spring is when I actually installed the OS.

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
After extensive testing, i have determined that any URL dragged to the Dock will give you the spring icon. phew that was some insane testing, i need a beer.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Oh for...

I was doing it by dragging a URL I already had on my desktop. That only produces the Safari "@" icon. But you're right, dragging the URL directly from Safari's address bar creates a spring icon.

Now...does anybody know what happened to the spring in my step? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.