Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
hey, i want to prove to people that OS X and aapple as a company is GREAT and all these PC zombies just dont' get it, i need help, i would love for some definitive evidence that shows how macs are better then pc's, how they got there, and why they will always be better. i know in some cases this may not be true, but i'm a die-hard mac fan and need to show them.
one quote i love is:
"DOS computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form." -- The New York Times

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Well, of course, any attempt to prove the Mac's superiority would have to start here and here. Make sure you remind 'em that, thanks to Tiger, you'll shortly be enjoying the features of Longhorn long before they will. ;)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Viruses

Correct me if I am wrong at all on this.

Mac OS X: Out since February 2001.
updates: 3, soon 4 (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 [coming soon])
Virus count: 0.

Windows XP: Out since November 2001.
updates: 0.
Virus count: over 60,000.

THE MAC IS PARAMOUNT!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
iMacZealot said:

THE MAC IS PARAMOUNT!

Windows had 2 updates service pack 1 and 2 and 2 is very handy. But you are right mac is king!!!

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Why exactly do you want to prove that one OS is better than another? Is it really that important? Just use whatever you like, but don't go spreading crap about Windows and acting like a Mac zealot. It just pisses people off and makes Apple (and Mac users) look worse.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Capt Underpants said:
Why exactly do you want to prove that one OS is better than another? Is it really that important? Just use whatever you like, but don't go spreading crap about Windows and acting like a Mac zealot. It just pisses people off and makes Apple (and Mac users) look worse.
Amen my brother from another mother :).

If they're too stubborn or stupid to switch, maybe it's better they stayed on the windows side of the fence.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
Capt Underpants said:
no, its not that i'm a jacka$$ and want them to like it, i jsut want them to see that there is more to computers then XP and windows, i just want them to see that its a good OS, they all hate it, and don't even want to hear my feeble attempts to show them that its half decent sorry....

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
Thomas Veil said:
Well, of course, any attempt to prove the Mac's superiority would have to start here and here. Make sure you remind 'em that, thanks to Tiger, you'll shortly be enjoying the features of Longhorn long before they will. ;)
wait...what do u mean, is longhorn copying Tiger a lot, or is there just a lot of similarities, or is Tiger copying Longhorn so that it can get the glory first?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
biohazard_6969 said:
no, its not that i'm a jacka$$ and want them to like it, i jsut want them to see that there is more to computers then XP and windows, i just want them to see that its a good OS, they all hate it, and don't even want to hear my feeble attempts to show them that its half decent sorry....

I'm sure you'll get alot of converts by calling them, "PEECEEers" and, "PC zombies". :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
but anyways, there are pros and cons to each OS, but i do think Macs are better because they do have a tendency to be more stable and are more elegant, but hey some people dont care about that and think windows is better, to each their own i say

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
Capt Underpants said:
I'm sure you'll get alot of converts by calling them, "PEECEEers" and, "PC zombies". :rolleyes:

oh man, u don't know the half of it, some of my 'friends' actually make fun of me, and when i said too them i migh get a dell soon, just for gaming, they all flipped out saying OMG he cracked, u mustn't love mac that much then.....my god, so calling them "peeceers" and "pc zombies" is NOTHING. as i am a die hard mac fan, they don't necicarilly support windows, they just say "macs suck, end of story" no explanation, i think they're just jealous ;) :p

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iMacZealot said:

THE MAC IS PARAMOUNT!

OS X updates != WinXP updates.

An update to Windows like an update to OS X would be Win2K to WinXP.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
OS X updates != WinXP updates.

An update to Windows like an update to OS X would be Win2K to WinXP.

Note that my original post says "Windows XP" and not the whole Windows line. If I meant the whole line of Macintosh and Windows, that would include:
Windows 3.0
Windows 4.0
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows XP
(There may be some more there)

and.....
Mac OS 1
Mac OS 2
Mac OS 3
Mac OS 4
Mac OS 5
Mac OS 6
Mac OS 7
Mac OS 8
Mac OS 9
and Mac OS X

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Oh, one more thing...........

Ask your friends if they can burn a DVD of their time at the beach last week, including videos and pictures from digital cameras, and include background music from their favorite rock band and their own guitar riffs with software made by the people that made their computer while combining a professional look with the quintet of applications being integrated, all done in three days (tops) without breaking a sweat? Well, Macs can.

This always impresses Windows users, and especially Windows lovers who are afraid to love a mac and functionality.

Oh, and the iMac G5 Introduction video always gets them, too.
(Yes, I am talking about iLife.)

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
iMacZealot said:
Oh, one more thing...........

Ask your friends if they can burn a DVD of their time at the beach last week, including videos and pictures from digital cameras, and include background music from their favorite rock band and their own guitar riffs with software made by the people that made their computer while combining a professional look with the quintet of applications being integrated, all done in three days (tops) without breaking a sweat? Well, Macs can.

This always impresses Windows users, and especially Windows lovers who are afraid to love a mac and functionality.

Oh, and the iMac G5 Introduction video always gets them, too.
(Yes, I am talking about iLife.)

Trust me some people don't care. I told my Dad that if they wanted to do that stuff, they should get a Mac (considering "empty" nest with me at college). I told him he can probably learn it in a lazy Saturday afternoon; or if he needs help there's the Apple store. He's like, *shrug* he just doesn't care. Our family was never that technologically inclined. Pictures? My mom has been pretty content using PowerPoint or those online photo albums.

Music? She finally got an iPod/iTunes. Finding Asian tracks are kind hard on iTunes. Chinese? HKPop? Non-existent on iTunes.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
iMacZealot said:
Note that my original post says "Windows XP" and not the whole Windows line. If I meant the whole line of Macintosh and Windows, that would include:
Windows 3.0
Windows 4.0
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows XP
(There may be some more there)

You missed 98se, Windows NT, windows 1.0, Their is also sever 03

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
biohazard_6969 said:
oh man, u don't know the half of it, some of my 'friends' actually make fun of me, and when i said too them i migh get a dell soon, just for gaming, they all flipped out saying OMG he cracked, u mustn't love mac that much then.....my god, so calling them "peeceers" and "pc zombies" is NOTHING. as i am a die hard mac fan, they don't necicarilly support windows, they just say "macs suck, end of story" no explanation, i think they're just jealous ;) :p

Why dont you get a life instead?

I find most people taking piss out of Macs generally dont.

"Oh! Macs are Crap! They've no software, blah blah blah"

"Ah! But I've kissed a girl before"

The reaction is usually really funny.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
biohazard_6969 said:
wait...what do u mean, is longhorn copying Tiger a lot, or is there just a lot of similarities, or is Tiger copying Longhorn so that it can get the glory first?
Certain aspects of Longhorn are things that OS X either has been able to do, or will be able to do with Tiger. For example, Longhorn's Sidebar is a kind of combination of the existing Dock plus Tiger's Dashboard. The animated windows look to be a variation of Quartz Extreme (think "Genie effect"). The search technology sounds an awful lot like Spotlight. Thing is, Tiger will be out one to three months from now, while parts of Longhorn may be delayed until 2007 or later. Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody, but I think it's the search technology that's giving Microsoft the biggest headaches.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
biohazard_6969 said:
Hey, I want to prove to people that OS X and Apple as a company is GREAT and all these PC zombies just don't get it, I need help.

As a recent switcher (will be exactly one week tonight that I got my Mac mini), I can assure you that die-hard PC fans won't "get it" unless they try a Mac for at least one month.

If they're die-hard "specifications" fans, they probably won't get it either. I mean, from a "numbers" perspective, my PC (Athlon 2600+, 1GB RAM, 80GB/7200RPM HD) should be able to easily beat my Mac mini (1.42GHz, 512MB, 80GB/4200RPM HD). But it doesn't, because of OS X vs Windows XP and iLife '05 vs... well, nothing.

And if they're only PC gamers (and not PC users), they'll never get it, as gaming hardly makes any difference between a Mac and a PC (when I'm playing World of Warcraft, I don't see/use the OS as such).

On a personnal note, I can say that after having used Exposé for a week, I now can't imagine not having it. :eek:

And to those who think the Mac mini (1.42GHz/512MB) is not powerful enough for everyday use (GPU/VRAM aside), you're nuts. ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
biohazard_6969 said:

You will never be able to talk intelligently to those people. Those who don't want to listen to alternative views aren't able to understand.

Don't waste your time, you're only re-inforcing their "mac zealots" views.

The only thing you should do is ask them to try out iTunes for a month. That's what really showed me what Apple was all about. It's not about the iPod, people, it's all about iTunes!

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
PlaceofDis said:
but anyways, there are pros and cons to each OS, but i do think Macs are better because they do have a tendency to be more stable and are more elegant, but hey some people dont care about that and think windows is better, to each their own i say

Exactly. From my point of view, for example, it's amazing that some people prefer Honda over Nissan/Toyota. Honda's are a bumpy ride, no comfort, only engine power.

Some people will always prefer raw speed vs a better overall experience. Even if they don't realize that the slowest component of their PC is themselves and should do everything they can to improve their own speed via the OS.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
blur said:
You missed 98se, Windows NT, windows 1.0, Their is also sever 03
Looks like you missed a few too...

The ones that I know of include the following (desktop and workstation versions):

Windows 1.0 *
Windows 2.0 *
Windows 3.0 *
Windows 3.1 *
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups *
Windows 95 *
Windows 98 *
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME *

Windows NT 3.1 Workstation *
Windows NT 3.5 Workstation
Windows NT 3.51 Workstation *
Windows NT 4.0 Workstation *
Windows 2000 Professional (NT 5.0) *
Windows XP (NT 5.1)​
The original Windows line was based largely on DOS while the NT line was based on OS/2.

* denotes versions I actually have in my collection, which also includes NT 4.0 Server which is not listed above

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Yvan256 said:
Exactly. From my point of view, for example, it's amazing that some people prefer Honda over Nissan/Toyota. Honda's are a bumpy ride, no comfort, only engine power.

Some people will always prefer raw speed vs a better overall experience. Even if they don't realize that the slowest component of their PC is themselves and should do everything they can to improve their own speed via the OS.

Honda = a higher technological level. Toyota = a myriad of models and ancient tech.

From my point of view, cars and computers are somewhat different... And tastes also differ. ;)

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
Yvan256 said:
The only thing you should do is ask them to try out iTunes for a month. That's what really showed me what Apple was all about. It's not about the iPod, people, it's all about iTunes!
yea, some of my mac hater friends got an ipod recently, one got the U2 and the other got the photo, they had to use itunes, and re-rip they're cd's from wma format to mp3, or something itunes would recognise, they thought it went so slow and they had so mcuh trouble with getting the cd track names, they were always wrong...i was sure that once they started using ipod and itunes, they would see that OS X and macs in general arent that bad...but in effect it made it worse. my excuse was that itunes for windwos just sucks....didn't do much but oh well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.