Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Okay everyone I need help.

My sister who lives a few states away from me has been having major computer issues lately. She has a 2.4ghz Black Macbook with 2gigs of RAM. Last week she had to take her computer to best buy (no apple store where she lives) to have her swollen battery removed because she could not get it out and it was causing her mouse and keyboard to behave erratically. They took it out, and did nothing else to the computer. She did not leave it there, just had them take out the battery and she left. Then she ordered a new 3rd party battery online and has had that in and working for a few days. All seemed fine.

Fast forward to today, she reset her computer and now the spotlight icon is missing from the top right of her screen, copy and paste wont work at all systemwide, and she can not drag and drop anything either. I tried to delete the com.apple.finder.plist file and then relaunch the finder, but nothing changed. She does have all her files backed up so if it comes to it we can try an archive and install of the system but I am hoping for an easier solution.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

**I also tried a MRoogle search on this but it does not seem to be working for me. Says forbidden every time I try to use it lately.

brendu

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I'm assuming she's tried rebooting.

Try repairing permissions.

Went ahead and tried that, no luck. Now trying an archive and install. We shall see if that fixes this.

EDIT: Archive and install seems to have restored everything back to normal..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.