Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanf1end

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
so my mbp is connected to my hdtv and via hdmi. everything works fine i have sound and everything the only issue is when i use VLC to watch movies fullscreen. i have mirroring turned off so when i drag the movie to the un mirrored side and hit full screen the movie goes full screen on the tv but on the mpb the screen goes black and it is unable to be moved. i thought i would be able to watch the movie on the tv and continue to use the comp normally so what have i done wrong? :confused:

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Check your preferences (command + ,) of VLC. I always have the same (not really bothered by it, since I watch the movie and have my lid closed). So I looked into it (I'm dutch, so I'm guessing what the english VLC says) and when you go to your preferences, and then to video (on top, there are these tabs, like "interface" "audio" "video". Now in the "video" tab there is an option "Activate Video" that is marked. Underneath it are 4 options that can be marked. In mine 2 of them are marked, one of them is something like "make all screens black while watching full screen". I guess if you turn that off (unmark it), you can go full screen without your screen on the macbook turning black.

you could also use quicktime (use Perian to be able to read all video formats http://www.perian.org). It doesn't make other screens black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.