Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Limey2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
I recently re-installed Snow Leopard due to stability issues. I have discovered that that particular issue was due to excessive dust building up on my media card.That issues appears to be resolved but now Quicktime X and Quicktime 7 will not open files.I have since reinstalled both versions, the version 7 from the optional install on the Snow Leopard disk.I cannot get either of them to work and I am getting really desperate.The notification OS Status error -50, which is all I get, seems to be a general statement to cover every type of problem that my Mac doesn't understand and having to use two QT applications instead of one doesn't help either.
I have the latest Perian,DivX and Flip4Mac installed,would these programs be causing any conflict ? Should I remove them completely and re-instal if and when the QT problem is resolved.I thought just re-installing QT would solve the problem but I guess not.There seems to be some corrupt file or two lurking somewhere but how do I locate it ? I don't have a clue but I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a Mac Pro OS 10.6.3 after my re-install , an update for OS 10.6.7 is over a GIG in size and takes over 13 hours to download unsuccessfully ! Should I try again and is this update really necessary ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Limey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.