Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Tried And Failed To Make A Black MacBook Air




Apple did indeed test out a black powder-coated MacBook Air, but the treatment absorbed body oils and didn't live up to Steve's standards, according to an anonymous Apple employee.




This employee got in touch after we wrote about emails we'd received claiming that the next-generation MacBook Air would have a black option.

The email:
Quote:
The rumors that the next iteration of the MBA's will have an optional black finish is grounded in truth.

We tried to powder coat the Air's (and Pro's for that matter) in black as a test run. There are more than a few floating around campus.

The coating looks good and holds up well, but it also soaks up body oils, making the palm rest look pretty gross. Ultimately that is the reason that the top brass (Jobs) killed the idea... it was just too easy to make the computer look like crap.

At some point we may offer a black coating, but it won't be powder coat, and it won't be anytime soon.
The sender doesn't have an existing track record, but after chatting with him, we suspect his story checks out.

Article Link: Apple Tried And Failed To Make A Black MacBook Air
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2
kdimitt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Darn!

I knew the black macbook air was too good to be true....
__________________
13" Macbook (Late 2007)
Now that the update is here!...The proud owner of a 11 in macbook air and mac mini
kdimitt is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816
 
Santabean2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
That's a shame. I'd love to get one of these black puppies if they can sort out the coat.
__________________
Cheers,
Santa
Santabean2000 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Macopotamus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I have seen black aluminum PC laptops, surely Apple can pull it off if Sony and Lenovo can.
Macopotamus is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
The title, however, did give me a good chuckle.
wordoflife is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a
 
ratzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Madrid
So that's why we saw black prototypes on eBay. I look forward to seeing a black model though. It's also normal that Apple slashed that idea off if it deteriorated the looks of their computers-- they are all for image.
__________________
15" MBP | Nexus 4 | iPad 4
ratzzo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:29 PM   #7
iDisk
macrumors 6502a
 
iDisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macopotamus View Post
I have seen black aluminum PC laptops, surely Apple can pull it off if Sony and Lenovo can.
Sorry but, "black aluminum PC laptops" and Apple don't belong in the same sentence..... Because there is a difference

Steve made the right decision, but I'm glad he realizes that the Black Mac needs to come back.
__________________
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
crawdad62
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greencastle, IN
Send a message via AIM to crawdad62 Send a message via Yahoo to crawdad62
I can't believe oily finger prints held them back. I had a black MacBook and it was a magnet for finger prints.
crawdad62 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:30 PM   #9
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816
 
WiiDSmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hermitage, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
The title, however, did give me a good chuckle.
The title is 100% accurate.
__________________
Windows 7 64 | FreeNAS 30 TB | White iPhone 5 32GB | TV 3 | iPad 3 White 32GB
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:31 PM   #10
ichiroboston
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fine with me, less chance of overheating when using outside in the sun
ichiroboston is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:31 PM   #11
thelonelylimo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athens, OH
I'd like to have one of the black Pro's, that's floating around the campus.
__________________
27" iMac | 17" MacBook Pro | iPhone ⁵ˢ | iPad Air | iPad mini ᴿᴱᵀᴵᴺᴬ | Time Capsule 3ᵀᴮ | AirPort Extreme | AirPort Express | Apple TV
thelonelylimo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:32 PM   #12
kdimitt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
The title is 100% accurate.
Exactly why it was unmacrumours like!

For the all haters, that was a joke
__________________
13" Macbook (Late 2007)
Now that the update is here!...The proud owner of a 11 in macbook air and mac mini
kdimitt is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:33 PM   #13
jlgolson
Editor
 
jlgolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
The title, however, did give me a good chuckle.
You should have seen the first version!

Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.
__________________
Jordan Golson -- Editor at MacRumors -- jlgolson@macrumors.com -- @jlgolson
jlgolson is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:33 PM   #14
iDisk
macrumors 6502a
 
iDisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
The title of this article seems very unMacrumors-like. Must be written by the new guy.
The title, however, did give me a good chuckle.
Kinda rough on the "new" editor Jordan aren't you?? Give people a chance, I'm sure when you start something new, you come out doing it perfectly right? .... Not
__________________
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:33 PM   #15
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
The title is 100% accurate.
I didn't deny that.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
PorterRocks
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Idaho
Do people claiming to be Apple employees that are "in the know" write to MacRumors often? I'm going to guess not.

As such, I'm still hopeful for a black MBA.
__________________
27" iMac (late-2012), 3.4 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion, Nvidia 680MX ; iPad (4th gen) 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB

Thanks, Steve
PorterRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:34 PM   #17
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
you should have seen the first version!

Steve jobs killed black macbook air because your greasy palms made it gross

ok, just kidding. But i appreciate y'all bearing with me while i do my best to learn the macrumors style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idisk View Post
kinda rough on the "new" editor jordan aren't you?? Give people a chance, i'm sure when you start something new, you come out doing it perfectly right? .... Not
Whoa ... I never said I didn't like the new style, I was just pointing out that it's a bit different.
If you must know though, I like the variety! Keep up the great work.

Last edited by wordoflife; Jun 20, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:35 PM   #18
theman123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisk View Post
Sorry but, "black aluminum PC laptops" and Apple don't belong in the same sentence..... Because there is a difference

Steve made the right decision, but I'm glad he realizes that the Black Mac needs to come back.
If Lenovo can make a quality aluminum black laptop, why can't apple?
theman123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:35 PM   #19
altecXP
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisk View Post
Sorry but, "black aluminum PC laptops" and Apple don't belong in the same sentence..... Because there is a difference

Steve made the right decision, but I'm glad he realizes that the Black Mac needs to come back.
Only in your mind.
__________________
Home - 13in MacBook Air: 1.7GHz i5, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD
Work - (not in use)2011 15in MacBook Pro: 2.2GHz i7, 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD
(in use) 2008 15in MacBook Pro: 2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4GB DDR2, 160GB HDD
altecXP is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:35 PM   #20
skitzogreg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Even still, think about it:

Dual Core + Integrated Graphics + Black = $350 Black Macbook on Craigslist.

This is also a good indicator of the next iteration of MBA's (with an SSD of course).
__________________
cMBP 2012/2.6 i7/16GB/512GB SSD/Hi-Res Antiglare
Macbook Air 2011/1.7 i5/4GB/128GB SSD
Time Capsule 2TB
iPhone 5 64GB
skitzogreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:36 PM   #21
iDisk
macrumors 6502a
 
iDisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
You should have seen the first version!

Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.
Keep it up Jordan ... You only learn and get better by doing more articles, and you have a great team to reach out to that can help you smooth out the rough edges....we all gotta start somewhere
__________________
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:39 PM   #22
kjjnk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

Thumb resize.
kjjnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:39 PM   #23
RedReplicant
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hm, that's a shame. I'm kind of curious what they did with the trackpad to make it black, doing the rest of the computer isn't difficult.
RedReplicant is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:40 PM   #24
iDisk
macrumors 6502a
 
iDisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman123 View Post
If Lenovo can make a quality aluminum black laptop, why can't apple?
Lenovo doesn't make anything quality, with that said, here are the Reviews of the laptop your claiming, notice how 1 writer says exactly what made Steve axe the project...hmmmm ...and you say lenovo make quality?? how about less quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by altecXP View Post
Only in your mind.
Really? How so? (I'm up for a tasteful debate)
__________________
"Where there is no vision the people perish:"- Proverbs 29:18
iDisk is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:40 PM   #25
appleguy123
macrumors 603
 
appleguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 15 minutes in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
You should have seen the first version!

Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.
That is a much better title! I would have laughed.
appleguy123 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ISP,INTERNET,SERVER failed on macbook air 2013 13' vigorito OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 12 Dec 21, 2013 04:31 PM
how to make the MacBook Air's Apple logo flash once per second? Jaranson MacBook Air 7 Dec 10, 2013 01:35 PM
Mac air Toshib* SSD failed and why isn't Apple fixing it? request MacBook Air 9 Nov 29, 2013 02:40 PM
How to make MacBook windows black WhyDoUCare Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Dec 30, 2012 07:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC