Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:55 PM   #51
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I have a bronze Dell laptop, and it's pretty sweet. I dont know why Apple can't just do the same thing that Dell does.

And re:title, I like it. It's rather unbiased, which is rarity these days on this site.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:02 PM   #52
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Shame Steve Jobs didn't notice that the stainless back for the iPod touch etc picks up scratches and looks like crap within 24 hours, too. Or how about that chrome bezel on the iPhone 3G/3GS etc?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:10 PM   #53
dakwar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
I can't believe oily finger prints held them back. I had a black MacBook and it was a magnet for finger prints.
I still have a black MacBook (4,1). If I don't wipe it down every morning, I swear I won't be able to tell the difference between it and a cheeseburger (admittedly a very large and thin and square-ish cheese burger).

In all seriousness though its all-around a sweet piece of hardware.
dakwar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:13 PM   #54
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
Steve Jobs Killed Black MacBook Air Because Your Greasy Palms Made It Gross

OK, just kidding. But I appreciate y'all bearing with me while I do my best to learn the MacRumors style.
Nah, that's more Engadget's style
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:20 PM   #55
diogodasilva
macrumors newbie

there you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	macbook-air-02-black.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	290474   Click image for larger version

Name:	macbook-air-02.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	290475  
diogodasilva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:36 PM   #56
Ambrish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple did indeed test out a black powder-coated MacBook Air, but the treatment absorbed body oils and didn't live up to Steve's standards, according to an anonymous Apple employee.

This employee got in touch after we wrote about emails we'd received claiming that the next-generation MacBook Air would have a black option.

The email:The sender doesn't have an existing track record, but after chatting with him, we suspect his story checks out.
Could it be that new 'liquid metal' stuff...? Isn't that supposed to look something like dark aluminum?
Ambrish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:47 PM   #57
blairwillis
macrumors regular

I seem to remember Steve Jobs being excited about the original Titanium Powerbook G4 (TiBook) and how they could do some neat things with anodized colors.

But it never happened.
blairwillis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:18 PM   #58
tjb1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrish View Post
Could it be that new 'liquid metal' stuff...? Isn't that supposed to look something like dark aluminum?
No, it was black powder coated aluminum.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:19 PM   #59
cara0910
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhamill View Post
Yeah, because Apple wouldn't hire a talented engineer because their grammar wasn't perfect, get real!
Haha. It's true. This is more atrocious, though: "The RUMORS that the next iteration of the MBA's will have an optional black finish IS grounded in truth." The rumors is grounded in truth? I laughed to myself a bit when I read that.

Your point, however, stands. I don't think Apple cares about your grammar unless your job is writing something that could be seen by the public.
cara0910 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 PM   #60
42streetsdown
macrumors 6502a

Why would they use a powder coat coloring technique when they could use an anodizing technique?
42streetsdown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:50 PM   #61
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnk View Post
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

Thumb resize.
And those were the ones that got the go-ahead. Reports of the pitting problem have been going around for almost a decade now with various iterations of Powerbooks/Macbook Pros. And yet the issue persists.

The pitting is pretty darn ugly. So just image how bad the black ones must have looked for Apple to actually reject them...
autrefois is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:37 AM   #62
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Thank you Steve for forcing Apple to come up with things we want to own and not bad products just to say look I made one.

Steve rocks, never change.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:38 AM   #63
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabean2000 View Post
That's a shame. I'd love to get one of these black puppies if they can sort out the coat.
Spray paint.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:39 AM   #64
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnk View Post
Sounds like the aluminum pitting that happened on the pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (which I believe were powder-coated) from your oils and sweat.

Thumb resize.
Yeah I ended up with minor symptoms of that on my 12" PB and pre-unibody 15" MBP. But I have also seen it on the unibodies so it's not exactly a thing of the past, and I don't reckon it should have halted a black. Maybe they need to make it a darker black ?
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:40 AM   #65
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairwillis View Post
I seem to remember Steve Jobs being excited about the original Titanium Powerbook G4 (TiBook) and how they could do some neat things with anodized colors.

But it never happened.
Probably because they had enough trouble with the standard 'colour' melting/peeling off the body and that was enough to deal with.
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:35 AM   #66
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogodasilva View Post
there you go!
That looks grey..... I like my attempt better.....

FlameofAnor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:38 AM   #67
blenditall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgreen86 View Post
I just wish they would use a black bezel on the Air. That's really the only thing keeping me from buying one at this time. The other MacBooks have them, why not the air?
The aluminum bezel is actually consistent with the rest of the lineup because the Air screen is antiglare. Antiglare Pros have the same thing. As for the reasoning behind antiglare on the Air, it is probably to decrease weight.
blenditall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:46 AM   #68
spillproof
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannis View Post
speaking of "soaking body oils", when are they going to replace those plastic keys with something that don't get all 'shiny' after a month's use? They look ugly as well. What about glass keys (ala touchpad) or something like that?
My thoughts exactly. My keys are permanently "shiny" and you can see exactly where I strike each key. But, overall, its trivial.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:16 AM   #69
wolfboy
macrumors regular

They'll can this idea but insist on continuing using metal in the back of the iPod touch? That thing gets micro scratches the minute you look at it directly.
wolfboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:22 AM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Whoa ... I never said I didn't like the new style, I was just pointing out that it's a bit different.
If you must know though, I like the variety! Keep up the great work.
And into reverse we go... Ha ha, awkward!!!
482214 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:40 AM   #71
kostasw
macrumors newbie

If you establish a wireless, almost telepathic connection between the user and the laptop so that the user does not have to touch the laptop... then Steve should be happy.

Or Apple can patent a cleaning chemical to periodically impregnate the aluminium from the inside so that, as it comes to the surface, it reacts with the body fat and eliminates it.

I can see quite a few patents coming up...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:43 AM   #72
peterdanckwerts
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
Anodizing and Power Coating are two completely different coatings... One is a chemical coating/plating and the other is a plastic coating that is sprayed on and melted.
They might be talking of a powder metallurgical coating, I suppose.
peterdanckwerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:00 AM   #73
weckart
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgreen86 View Post
I just wish they would use a black bezel on the Air. That's really the only thing keeping me from buying one at this time. The other MacBooks have them, why not the air?
Because it looks cheap and tacky. I would not have bought one if they had soiled the bezel thus.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:21 AM   #74
wakka092
macrumors 6502

Anyone remember the anodized iPod minis? They had many different colors (except black). The colors didn't wear on those. I'd think black would work.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 03:22 AM   #75
wakka092
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
Because it looks cheap and tacky. I would not have bought one if they had soiled the bezel thus.
I agree. The MBA style aluminum bezel looks slicker. I got my 15" MBP with the anti-glare screen for the high res and the better looking aluminum bezel.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion