Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Original poster
I have been using my adonit folio for the past week, and I have to say it has made my beloved iPad 1 infinitely more defined.
I am now able to incline the screen to a more defined angle, the blue tooth keyboard,is attached,much better than using the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard,albeit a little smaller, it works for my fat fingers:rolleyes:
It shuts off the Bluetooth Keyboard when closed,basically it makes my i Pad,almost a MBA 11"
I just wanted to say how enamored I am with this case/folio, and my wife is looking forward to the Pad 2 version
Check it out here;
http://adonit.net/product/1

Last edited:

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Adonit Says iPad 2 Any Day Now

I got an email from the Adonit site saying that they expect the new iPad 2 case to be announced next week. From the reviews, it looks great. I wonder how long before an iPad 3 and whether the $100 for a new case this late in the game is worth it? For those who use the iPad 1 case, any more feedback would be great.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I got an email from the Adonit site saying that they expect the new iPad 2 case to be announced next week. From the reviews, it looks great. I wonder how long before an iPad 3 and whether the $100 for a new case this late in the game is worth it? For those who use the iPad 1 case, any more feedback would be great.

Thx

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I just purchased the keyboard case for iPad 2. The shipping is really silly IMO. $5 for 14 day, FOURTEEN DAY. To get it in a more reasonable time us $15-20. 20% of te item cost for shipping is too much. 14 days is way too long.

So. First off they need a better shipping setup. I certainly hope this is worth it. I have been trying to find the right keyboard since iPad 1.

I will post a proper review, maybe video when I receive it, since not very many seem to have it.

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Received my Adonit Writer for iPad 2 and I'm really impressed so far. Build quality is really nice, keyboard is solid, and the whole thing has a great 'premium' feel to it. Keyboard is cramped even compared to the on-screen keyboard, but it only took me a couple of minutes to get used to it. It does add considerable weight to the iPad, but I consider that a fair trade-off given that the keyboard is metal and not plastic.

My only gripes are that I wish the magnets kept the folio more securely closed, and the space bar and backspace keys were bigger. But the closure thing seems to be an issue common to every case that uses the internal magnets - they're just not designed to hold anything closed. So all in all, I recommend this one VERY highly.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 126

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
meh, I'm annoyed. Mine was set for delivery today (way faster than 15 day) but the postman apparently thought that a small knock on a door and waiting .5 seconds was enough effort to deliver it.. so now I have to fetch it. I may try this afternoon but I don't think it will be ready until tomorrow.

Until then, I shall review the pictures provided :)

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
All the keyboard cases for the iPad are somewhat cramped. It's the only downside of trying to add a keyboard case. The only full sized ones are the external bluetooth keyboards. I've tried the Zagg and a ton of others. The Zagg and the knockoff Zagg someone posted above are not worth it IMO. I'm curious about the Clamcase, but until then, this Adonit Writer really does a great job for me. It's a nice all in one solution. Sure, the keyboard is cramped like all the others, but it's also a aluminum keyboard, which is so much nicer than the plastic or rubber keyboards.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Well, I am looking forward to it. Of like to be able to use the iPad for some client productivity. Rdc is way better than on a netbook so a good keyboard case would be nice.

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
I'd love to see a folio case that can hold the iPad 2 and a wireless apple keyboard. I like the idea of having the keyboard built-in, but I just prefer the Apple Keyboard because its so comfortable to type on.

Until that comes out, I'll keep using my iPad 2 stand and my keyboard separately

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I've used the following keyboard/folio cases with my iPad1 and iPad2.

ClamCase - Nice keyboard but heavy and I thought the quality was middle of the road. (SOLD)
ZAGGMate - Nice keyboard, but a bit of a kludge to use. (SOLD)
Kensington - Rubbery keyboard and no Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. (RETURNED)
Sena - Gorgeous case, dreadful keyboard, i.e., same one as on the Kensington. (RETURNED)

Adonit - Smallest of the keyboards, but, for me, the best compromise.
Apple BT Keyboard - While I like the size and feel of it, it's as kludgey to set up as the ZAGGmate. I carry it and my iPad2 in a Waterfield iPad Wallet with shoulder strap.

I agree with techdude6693, the best folio would be one that could hold an Apple BT keyboard, but until that comes out, I'll use the Adonit at work and the Apple BT Keyboard/Waterfield iPad Wallet combination when traveling.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
the ado nit keyboard as of right now is not what i consider a good solution, at all. it is TINY, even compared to the zagg, and it flexes pretty brutally. for me, so far, I am extremely disappointed as far as first impressions go. I can probably type faster on the soft keyboard, they sacrificed too much in the design imo.

obviously will give it a bit more time, but it's like typing on a ****ing blackberry keyboard, way too small unless the user is 5 years old.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
just an update, I keep trying to use this but really, it just doesn't fit. The keyboard is so small that even in typing this post, i managed to somehow hit a button that turned off the ipad...and it wasn't the lock.

Such a pity, better form factor than the zagg, way worse keyboard experience.

i have thin fingers too, but long as I am tall.

Just a heads up for others. I have already submitted a return request, I will never get used to this, it's smaller than any netbook keyboard I have used... including the awful mini 9 keyboard.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I've got mixed feelings about the Writer. I fear that there may be more cons than positives. I haven't had the chance to fully use it yet but those are my first impressions. The packaging is pretty amazing though :D

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The packaging was well designed, and the writer is even very pretty as an object. It's a shame function doesn't follow form.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Given the design, there was no way to make the keyboard bigger. Clearly, adonit opted to make their solution only as big as the plastic frame that holds the iPad2. Works for some, not for others.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Given the design, there was no way to make the keyboard bigger. Clearly, adonit opted to make their solution only as big as the plastic frame that holds the iPad2. Works for some, not for others.

I don't agree with this, the issue is not just width (which they sacrificed for a wider keyboard bezel vs say, the zagg) but also the height of the keys and spacing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.