Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I am looking at different units to buy.
I know the difference between processors, RAM and HD space/size and what I want with regards to those.

What about the resolution size and the differences between Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor ?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
which models are you even comparing?

the 15" have higher res screens than the 13" machines. The 13" mba has a higher res screen than the 13" mbp.

The intel graphics are typically much worse when gaming, though there are a handful of games where it outperforms the nvidia card.

kclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I won't be doing any gaming. Don't have the time.

I am mainly looking at the 15", but haven't ruled out 13". Concerned about video editing with a 13".

I am actually looking at a few refurbs on apple's site.
option1
option2
option3
option4

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Option 1 seems over priced imo. You could get a brand new base 15" and add the hi-res antiglare for $150 and you'd be at the exact same price. Both machines would basically be the same, gpu's are pretty comparable, but you get a much better processor, and a brand new machine with the 2011 models, so I don't know why you would buy refurb here.

Option 2 is more reasonable, slightly slower processor than option 1, but will actually save you $120 over this years model equipped with hi-res AG.

Option 3 is your cheapest, but you no longer are getting the hi-res AG, you have to decide if that's something you want or if you don't care about it.

Option 4 is your best bet if you don't mind spending that much and don't want hi-res AG.

If you don't want a hi-res AG screen, I think you have 2 options, number 3 if money is tight, number 4 if you don't mind spending extra for a much nicer gpu. A brand new base 15" might also be adequate and falls right in the middle.

If you want hi-res AG, i think your best option is a brand new baseline 15" with that option BTO.

kclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
This is great help. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of the AG screen versus glossy

Is the main difference just when it is used outdoors?

Last edited:

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
This is great help. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of the AG screen versus glossy

Is the main difference just when it is used outdoors?
yeah the AG is a lot nicer if you work outside, or if you work in a building with a lot of light and windows.

Do you have an apple store? The best way is to check out both for yourself and see which you like better.

All of those AG screens are also hi-res which means you get more screen real estate and text and images look smoother, although they also appear smaller.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
i second the apple store bit. best way to determine which form factor, screen size, type, and resolution among other things that you want is to mess around with sample products hands on.

kclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
does the retail store carry the hi resolution screen so I can carry it out?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
does the retail store carry the hi resolution screen so I can carry it out?
yes they carry it so that you can see what it looks like and try it out, but i don't think they will allow you to "carry it out" :p

kclark

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
I currently have 7 tabs going across multiple sites with 3 check that 4 of them on this site. I double posted by accident. I realized that I posted on a thread that I was reading, not the thread where is was meant to be.

My deepest apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone.

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
These are pretty much my guidelines on what MacBook to get:

MacBook:
Avoid it. It hasn't been updated in 1.5 years, and it shows its age. The CPU is a generation behind. The ONLY reason I would go with the MacBook would be for the nVidia 320M, which is SLIGHTLY better than the Intel HD 3000. Even then, the Intel HD 3000 outperforms it in most cases, and the nVidia 320M is irrelevant anyway.

MacBook Air 11"/13":
If you need a portable computer, have a small media library, and mostly just browse the Internet, the MacBook Air will be perfect for your needs. On a side note, it's rumoured that the MacBook Air is about to receive an update. If you're interested in the MacBook Air, and if you can wait, wait till the end of the summer to see how the rumours pan out.

MacBook Pro 13" i5:
If you occasionally dip into casual games, have a decent sized media library, and want a good all-round computer with more flexibility than the Air, the MacBook Pro 13" will suit you perfectly. I suggest sticking with the i5 in most cases, as anything that requires the i7 will most likely require a better GPU, etc/

MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz:
If you are into casual gaming, casual video editing, or photo editing, the Quad-Core CPU and AMD GPU will be a significant upgrade to the Intel HD 3000. I also suggest going with the Hi-Res Display for the latter two. The extra screen estate makes a big difference. If you can though, I would spend the extra money on...

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz:
A powerhouse machine. The AMD 6750M is another serious upgrade to the AMD 6490M. Great for gaming and video editing. The CPU is also great. I would avoid the 2.3GHz upgrade, as the extra 100MHz (which is made irrelevant with Turbo Boost) and 2MB in cache size is not worth the extra $200. Unless you KNOW it's going to make a difference in what you're doing, it's very unlikely you'll notice a difference in performance. One last thing to take into consideration is the...

MacBook Pro 17" 2.2GHz:
I would also consider going with the 17" MacBook Pro, as it's only an additional $200 for an increased screen estate, additional USB port, and an ExpressCard slot for eSATA. The weight differences is not that bad either.

That's my summary.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
what about this from B&H
Is it dual or quad core?
Did you read it?
ScreenCap 15.png

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
dual core and an absolute rip-off.

-edit- i guess not quite an absolute rip-off if you value "magic bullet" video editing suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.