Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:53 AM   #1
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Photo Resolution on ipad 2

Hi,

I have an ipad 2 16gb wi-fi. Since I am short of space, does anyone know what size/resolution does ipad2 import photos.

If say I have a 4gb album on my macbook on iphoto, will ipad also use 4gb or will it compress it while syncing through itunes.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:10 AM   #2
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know the answer?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Donka
macrumors 6502a

If you have smaller, compressed images on your PC, they will actually take up more space on the iPad. iTunes creates a few versions on your pictures when it synchronises which is why on first sync with the new photos, you will see the message 'optimising pictures' for a while. I think it generates 3 images, one thumbnail, one full screen and another over sized image that has been optimised for zooming.
I'm not sure how large, full resolution images are handled i.e. if they are downsized and actually use up less space.
Donka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
blackNBUK
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the answer is completely straightforward. When you import photos through iTunes it will reduce the resolution of them down to around 2000x1400 so that will reduce the file size. However at the same time iTunes decompresses them so the iPad has an easier time displaying them; which will increase the file size.

The best plan is probably just to stick the photos on and see. If you run out of space iTunes should just tell you it couldn't fit all the photos on.
blackNBUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad