Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashura7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Clearwater, FL
sms will still be backed up with your normal itunes backup

pkBackup is for backing up your cydia packages

Last time I've tried, iTunes only backed up sms until the day I jailbroke it. So once I restored, all of the sms that I sent and received from a jailbroken phone were deleted.

Is pkBackup the best option?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Last time I've tried, iTunes only backed up sms until the day I jailbroke it. So once I restored, all of the sms that I sent and received from a jailbroken phone were deleted.

Is pkBackup the best option?

it's PKGBackup. I highly recommend it. The newer versions backup practically everything with Dropbox integration.

tbaker00

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will it keep all of them even through updates and stuff

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I had a question about this as well, i will check out PKGBackup, but did i read this corect. After you JB the sync with iTunes does not work right anymore and my standard Apple stuff (non JB apps, text etc...) will need to be backed up some other way.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
i think this took more typing than the answer

Plus the posts given by that search are not very helpful. Perhaps via a Google search with quotes and the site:macrumors.com parameters, but not with what he wrote.

Pkgbackup is used to backup a way to easily get the apps back, but it doesn't actually backup the apps. SMS are backed up via the normal iTunes backup.

What I do is not just rely on the above. Whenever I install an app from Cydia, I make sure to be connected to my Mac via CyberDuck and I copy the deb file (and any supporting debs) to a folder on my Mac before exiting Cydia. I also copy the Applications folders (actually I have a copy of almost the entire iPhone on my Mac, except music, etc.) and use Chronus to backup the app settings and data for the App Store apps. You can also copy the sms.db file and any other .db files you want to save, so that you don't lose SMS, etc.

Last edited:

truncj

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I had a question about this as well, i will check out PKGBackup, but did i read this corect. After you JB the sync with iTunes does not work right anymore and my standard Apple stuff (non JB apps, text etc...) will need to be backed up some other way.

Jailbreaking does not affect the iTunes backup process. All of sms, recent calls, contacts, calendar, notes, apps...etc. will all be backed up correctly, no differently than when you weren't jailbroken. I've never had any luck with PKGBackup, so I won't be one to recommend it. But I used a new program called xBackup yesterday in Cydia (less expensive too) and it worked beautifully.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Jailbreaking does not affect the iTunes backup process. All of sms, recent calls, contacts, calendar, notes, apps...etc. will all be backed up correctly, no differently than when you weren't jailbroken. I've never had any luck with PKGBackup, so I won't be one to recommend it. But I used a new program called xBackup yesterday in Cydia (less expensive too) and it worked beautifully.

Ok great i will check out xBackup.

So far i am very excited with my results so far with JB, i have Lockinfo, Sbsettings and winterboard. I have took a hit in battery life, not sure what is causing that.

I still want to pick up iTether and then i will have all of the stuff i was looking for out of the JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.