Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
sammax
macrumors newbie

Crashes with error EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Hi All,

I recently bought a new 27 inch iMac and I'm having a lot of EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) crashes when I open programs like Safari for example. Somethimes it crashes right at the start when I click to open a program and somethime it takes a few minutes but It will crash.
The same goes for Cubase and Native Instruments Complete applications. These appications are all I want use really because I bought the iMac to make music.
I copied the the error it crashes with, there is a whole lot of text but this is probably the most importen piece.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000010
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

I googled the error code and came across some articles. So far I tried this steps:

- Run an extended harware diagnostics check from the application DVD.
On some forums people had a similiar problem and I turned out to be bad memory. Mu test turned out to be ok.

- Boot into save mode and used the disck util program to fix permissions on my HD. I first runned a check and it came up with some permissions that apparently were not right. I used the option to reset the permissions but the problem continued after a reboot.

- Tried to run the latest Combo fix as suggested on soem forums. Im running 10.6.7 and the Combo update was also version 10.6.7.
I could not install it. At the screen where you select on what disk you want to install there was a yellow exclamation mark at my HD. I dont know why because There is over 800GB free space.

- I cleared the library cache folders as suggested on some forums

- I turned of sharing and removed my shared folders as suggested on a forum.
I dont know if it has anything to do with it but it seemed to fix it for the guy who was having the same issue.

The last thing I can think of myself is reinstall the system but since it is verry time consuming to install all the NI sound libraries I want to know if there is something else I can try.
I dont know if the problem was there from the start because I started installing my applications right after I got the imac. During the installation I had no problems.

Hope someone can help.
I have verry little Mac / OSX knowledge myself. before I bought the imac I had a MBP for a few months that was using flawlessly with the same software.
Hope I wont regrat it after all

Last edited by sammax; Jun 21, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
sammax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
maflynn

Sounds like a possible hardware issue, such as bad ram. Did you try running the apple hardware test which is on your system disc that you get with your imac.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:45 AM   #3
sammax
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.
I did run a hardware test using the disk wich is included.
Test showed no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Sounds like a possible hardware issue, such as bad ram. Did you try running the apple hardware test which is on your system disc that you get with your imac.
sammax is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X