Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Is there a way to get around sales tax when using the Mac App Store, iTunes, iOS App Store, etc. if you change your address (in your Apple ID) to a state without sales tax, such as Delaware? I want to buy Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor, and with 7% sales tax in NJ, I would like to save $30 if I could. Thanks!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Even if it is doable you may still owe the sales tax to NJ. Many states have use taxes that are still owed if you pay no sales taxes.

While $28 savings would be nice, remember those savings when NJ delays repairs to the roads, increase tuition costs, or increases the costs for you to enjoy whatever benefits you surely enjoy living in NJ.

omicron

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Where I live in Kansas our sales tax is 9%. Chicago is 10%. 7% is low. You're spending $400 on software. What's $28 more gonna do?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Ok. Anyway, I was thinking that when I tried to enter in a Delaware billing address for my card, it could possibly be denied due to security reasons since that's not my real address?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Okay, first you are willing to spend $400 on software but not $28 on tax, so you want a way to evade your legal tax obligations?

Then, you want to commit fraud, (postal and tax) by using your BANKS address as your mailing address, in hopes to avoid paying $28?

And you come to a public internet site to ask.....good luck, you probably have wasted $28 worth of time and effort already. And if caught, although unlikey, your fines will certainly be greater than $28.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I'm not trying to fight, and am not posting after this, but I guess everybody wins if I pick up the phone, call my friend, and get a copy of it for free when he signs in on my computer. I'm just trying to save some money, and it's not like I'm talking about a couple dollars and some cents, I'm talking about a decent amount.

And BTW I'm 14, so every dollar I make from selling apps counts.

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I believe that in NJ, Use Tax is filed with the standard NJ Income Tax Return under a separate schedule. Seeing as how the OP is 14, it's likely that he doesn't have to file a state income tax return.

So in that regards, perhaps he can use iTunes Gift cards for the account. Just change the address on your account and load up with gift cards. There's no CC fraud there, although you may be running afoul of Apple's TOC for the MAS ... not sure.

BTW, it's very random how sales tax is charged on AppStore/MAS/iTunes purchases. I'm in PA (6% tax) and I've always been charged sales tax on Mac and iOS app purchases. However, with iTunes music, sometimes I get charged, sometimes, not.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
So the OP is 14 and he has a credit card? The OP is 14 and yet he wants $400 worth of video editing software, has the $400 beans to spend on it AND has a buddy who also has it? Oh and he makes and sells apps as his means of income...at 14? Hmmm, maybe, possible on the software and sure a 14 year old can make apps, but I call BS on the credit card and in fact call BS on the OP being 14.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
While $28 savings would be nice, remember those savings when NJ delays repairs to the roads, increase tuition costs, or increases the costs for you to enjoy whatever benefits you surely enjoy living in NJ.

Yeah, because the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted each year by the NJ government is of no issue. This kid's $28 is what will push the state off the ledge.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Yeah, because the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted each year by the NJ government is of no issue. This kid's $28 is what will push the state off the ledge.

We all feel that our tax dollars are wasted in some way; but that does not not mean that we have the moral right to break the laws that require us to pay taxes that are due.

Even at 14, the OP can start letting the elected officials know that he is watching the waste in spending and will remember that when he starts voting in 4 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This topic is a minefield morally speaking and for one that I'm largely going to avoid.

I will say that while we may disagree with how our tax dollars are being used, not paying taxes is not the avenue to get back at them. In mostly a generalized way people who do some things morally questionable tend to justify their reasons regardless of the topic.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Oh look, the moral police are going hard and heavy on the forum today, with a bonus sidearm of cynicism. Does it physically pain some of you to ignore a thread you don't agree with or is this how you get your jollies? Me? I get jollies from criticising how some of you get your jollies. I'm an arse like that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh look, the moral police are going hard and heavy on the forum today, with a bonus sidearm of cynicism. Does it physically pain some of you to ignore a thread you don't agree with or is this how you get your jollies? Me? I get jollies from criticising how some of you get your jollies. I'm an arse like that.

No offense but what do you expect when people ask how to do something to avoid paying their taxes.

would you expect any different answers if a thread was posted asking what are the best methods to cheat on your 1040 form for your tax returns?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Is there a way to get around sales tax when using the Mac App Store, iTunes, iOS App Store, etc. .... Thanks!

Yes. Easy. Move to a state with no sales tax.

Personally, I don't really care whether you personally pay sales taxes or not. But if you avoid paying taxes then you don't get to complain about the lack of state services offered.

johnstewarttgl

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
technical response

Wow... I didn't realise this was the holier than thou forum of self righteousness. Better find another forum where they can respond on the technical questions rather than the morality of asking.

To the original question... I had this same problem with sales tax, having moved abroad to Europe, but still having to pay sales tax for software purchases in the US.

I suppose I could move to using the app store netherlands or uk or norway (whereever my job takes me that year), but I hate managing multiple itunes accounts and logging into each with a different account every time there is an app update.

I could also use my old state where I used to live (NY) and donate tax dollars there even though I don't live there or have any ties there. Or maybe select some other state that is "in need" of tax dollars according to some in this forum.

But... no. Not going to do that.

My solution, which seems to work thus far, is to use a Delaware address with a prepaid credit card, e.g. American Express or Visa, purchased from any CVS store.

The government(s) will have to settle for taxing my house, car, fuel, wages, company profits, company expenditures, capital gains, interest, retail purchases, and air travel.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There is an easier way to save money. Every now and then, retailers like Bestbuy/Walmart will have a sale on iTunes giftcard, as big as 15-20% off. You'll be saving more than trying to cheat the sales tax, and less effort too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.