Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
highdefw
macrumors 6502

Mac Pro Won't Power On!

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been using my 2009 2.26 octo MP since January. Suddenly today it powered off. To be specific, I had a 7-port USB hub connected via usb to the MP. When I plugged in the AC adapter to fully power the hub, the Mac Pro turned off!!!

I unplugged everything and tried resetting the SMC, no go. The power LED startup light doesnt even come on. If I hit the DIAG LED button on the backboard, a yellow bulb lights up next to "SV STBY", nothing else. Anyone know what that means?

I am not under warranty. Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem? Could it be the PSU or backboard?

Thanks
highdefw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2
cjgonzales1900
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefw View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I've been using my 2009 2.26 octo MP since January. Suddenly today it powered off. To be specific, I had a 7-port USB hub connected via usb to the MP. When I plugged in the AC adapter to fully power the hub, the Mac Pro turned off!!!

I unplugged everything and tried resetting the SMC, no go. The power LED startup light doesnt even come on. If I hit the DIAG LED button on the backboard, a yellow bulb lights up next to "SV STBY", nothing else. Anyone know what that means?

I am not under warranty. Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem? Could it be the PSU or backboard?

Thanks
Really could be anything just take it into apple they can see whats wrong with it i believe. and they should give you a quote before they charge you anything
Im not sure you should check first
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:25 AM   #3
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Is it a Monoprice hub?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Darien Red Sox
macrumors regular

Disconnect the front panel board (the board with the power button, front USB, exc) and then try jumping SYS_PWR solder pads on the motherboard. If it starts than it is most likely a bad front panel board. If not I can provide farther troubleshooting info.
Darien Red Sox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:57 AM   #5
highdefw
macrumors 6502

@odinsride, This is the hub I bought a few months ago, not specifically from this seller, but its the exact same model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Port-Mini-Real...item35b3166986

@Darien, sent you a pm on further instructions.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
highdefw
macrumors 6502

Looking around, but where is the SYS_PWR solder pad on the board? And what's the best way to jump them?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Quote:
@odinsride, This is the hub I bought a few months ago, not specifically from this seller, but its the exact same model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Port-Mini-Real...item35b3166986

@Darien, sent you a pm on further instructions.
Reason I asked is because I had the same issue using a cheap monoprice hub. Does your system boot with the hub and all USB devices (other than mouse/kb) unplugged?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:02 PM   #8
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Looking around, but where is the SYS_PWR solder pad on the board? And what's the best way to jump them?
Not sure where the SYS_PWR is but you can jump it by putting touching both leads at the same time with a metal screwdriver. Be careful and make sure you're jumping the right leads.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

The PSU for that USB hub in the OPs URL looks like the same that Monoprice uses for nearly everything that I've bought from them, however I've never, ever been disappointed with MonoPrices quality, but I'd imagine that would be a similar if not same hub MonoPrice at least WOULD sell, and thus use the same PSU AC power adapter which in theory could be causing the same issue that odinsride had.
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
highdefw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsride View Post
Reason I asked is because I had the same issue using a cheap monoprice hub. Does your system boot with the hub and all USB devices (other than mouse/kb) unplugged?
Haven't tried booting it with the hub attached... scared to even dare try that... It looks like it only shorted out the front panel board, so I'm having that replaced. Hopefully it's nothing more. The backboard plane and PSU seem to be ok...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Tags
boot, power, won't