Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Audi09
macrumors member

Questions about buying a used Verizon iphone4

1- What do I need to watch out for? He says the "ESN" is clean. Is there a way I can check if that is true?
2- Its jailbroken, What are the pros/cons of that? And will that give me any problems activating it at Verizon?

So say everything about the phone is fine and working, do I just take it to a Verizon store, chose a plan and have them activate it?
Audi09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi09 View Post
1- What do I need to watch out for? He says the "ESN" is clean. Is there a way I can check if that is true?
2- Its jailbroken, What are the pros/cons of that? And will that give me any problems activating it at Verizon?

So say everything about the phone is fine and working, do I just take it to a Verizon store, chose a plan and have them activate it?
Verizon can tell you if the ESN is clean. Have the seller give you the MEID number and you can call Verizon and verify this. What I would do though is just have the person meet you at the Verizon store and have the phone activated while they stand there. If they don't show up, you know there's some funny stuff going on.

The phone being jailbroken doesn't affect you. Before Verizon activates it, they will restore it to it factory state. You will start with a non-jailbroken phone.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
jonter19
macrumors member

I'm also looking to buy a used Verizon iPhone.

Where exactly is the MEID on the iPhone? I know on most Verizon phones, it is located under the battery, but you can't take the battery out of the iPhone.
jonter19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

If it's anything like the GSM iPhones the MEID should also be visible in Settings>General>About.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
iRepairSolution
macrumors newbie

I wouldn't ask him for the imei number, I would actually call verizon with the phone in your hand. I've had bad experiences with this. The ESN an be clean at the time of the sale but if the guy doesn't pay his bill then the phone will get blacklisted. The account has to be inactive and in good standing. Hope this helps.
iRepairSolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:08 AM   #6
jenzjen
macrumors 68000

If you don't want to meet at a Verizon store, make sure you can activate on your line while you're meeting the person.

Dial *228, press 3 and then you will be prompted to enter your phone number and the last 4 of your SSN. If the ESN is clean, the iPhone will then be switched over onto your number immediately.
jenzjen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:30 PM   #7
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairSolution View Post
The ESN an be clean at the time of the sale but if the guy doesn't pay his bill then the phone will get blacklisted. The account has to be inactive and in good standing. Hope this helps.
I don't believe this is true. An ESN can be clean if his bill is current. A Verizon rep can then transfer the phone into the buyers name. If the seller then decides to not pay his bill, I don't believe Verizon can go back and blacklist the phone which has already been transferred into someone else's name.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:10 AM   #8
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzjen View Post
If you don't want to meet at a Verizon store, make sure you can activate on your line while you're meeting the person.

Dial *228, press 3 and then you will be prompted to enter your phone number and the last 4 of your SSN. If the ESN is clean, the iPhone will then be switched over onto your number immediately.
you dial *228, press 1 to activate and then you enter your billing passcode (i don't know what happens if you haven't set one up).

alternatively, you can enter the esn, meid or imei number at this page. if the esn is clear, it should tell you that the device is ready to be activated or something like that.

still, if i were buying a verizon phone, i'd have the seller meet at a verizon store. an unwillingness to do this is shady.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:30 AM   #9
HappyVirus
macrumors member

^ what he said. Verizon stores are everywhere.
HappyVirus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone