Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
So yesterday as I was buying Sword and Sorcery, I was told that I did not have enough credit. This was strange as I'd entered a $100 card a few days before. I had to re-enter my CC info before I could buy it, which I also thought was strange. Today I went into my order history, shocked to discover that apparently I had bought Texas Poker (free) and 150M poker chips for 99.99. I've never downloaded this app--it's not on my macs nor my iPhone.

I've contacted Apple to reverse the charges, but I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Should I change my AppleID password and/or cancel the debit card? Was I hacked, or was it just an error on Apple's part?

Edit: well, I found my answer. Not just me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3031164?start=0&tstart=0

Sounds like Apple needs to investigate this app.

Last edited:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
It normally means your account was hacked - run a full antivirus/malware scan on your computer, change your password (and if you've used the same password elsewhere change all of those passwords IMMEDIATELY).

From what I've seen before (different apps, but this looks similar), it's people wanting to play games like this without paying - they buy compromised accounts like yours for a low price, and use your credit to buy in-app purchases to play the games. Pretty disgusting, but some people just refuse to pay for anything.

The account details can come from a number of sources:

- phishing emails, asking you to re-enter your itunes username + password to confirm your details
- malware infections on your computer (or another computer you've used)
- another website or service that you use getting hacked, where you've used the same (or similar) password (this has happened A LOT during the last few weeks!)
- apple's servers getting hacked and having poor password security (not heard of it, and it seems unlikely, but then look at what happened to sony - it's possible)
- 'brute forcing' your password (repeatedly trying to guess it - if you've NOT used a common password, like a word from the dictionary, this is unlikely)
- somebody looking over your shoulder while you enter your password (not likely here, but don't overlook the obvious things!)

Golden rules:

- Use a strong password. 8 or more characters, not a dictionary/easily guessed word, mix of capitals and numbers (and other characters if possible!)
- Use a different username/password on every site
- Don't write any passwords down

Yes, it's a nightmare to keep track of all the passwords, but it's the only way to be safe :(

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I love Apple, but you'll find them to be extraordinarily slow responding to this. My iTunes account got hacked. They downloaded like $200 in asian pop music.

Funny thing is, that music is still in my purchased list and it still shows up for recommendations, etc.

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Also you should check not the only account password, but password for your mail account as well.

P.S. And, it would be a good (but not that convenient) idea to buy everything from account registered from gift card, and do not hold a lot of money on that account.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
My iTunes account got hacked. They downloaded like $200 in asian pop music.

And you're upset? ;)

This whole situation with this poker game company is ridiculous though. Wtf is going on? Are they really so blatantly hacking peoples accounts to buy in-app purchases and getting away with it for this long?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Well after a wait of several days I finally received a response (to their credit, they apologized--apparently they've had a high volume of issues recently.) They've agreed to refund the 99.99. Unfortunately, they've also disabled my account to "investigate," which could take up to "several days." Until then, I can't purchase anything. No big deal at the moment, but if this had happened during the Lion release...

Two things really worry me about this:

1. This poker hack has been going on for over a month (at least). Does Apple care? Are they investigating? Maybe, but no response from them indicating as such.

2. In the email, it says that the refund is "a one-time exception to our sales policy." This absolutely terrifies me. So if it happens again I am screwed? This is unacceptable. Apple should refund unauthorized purchases, period.

Coincidentally, I also received an email today that my Bioware EA account had been hacked, and it's quite possible that that's how my password was obtained. Not sure if it was the same, though.

okaive

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
I looked at my account and found out that in Dec I had downloaded a Winnie the Pooh book. I don't even have freaking kids and have yet to see a charge after that. still confused how it got on my computer.

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I looked at my account and found out that in Dec I had downloaded a Winnie the Pooh book. I don't even have freaking kids and have yet to see a charge after that. still confused how it got on my computer.

lol, now, who would hack your account and buy winnie the pooh? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.