Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Silas1066
macrumors member

Multiple Air Ports in house

I was thinking about getting the air port extreme, but I have machines in the basement of my house, as well as on the 2nd floor. Don't know if one air port is going to reach all this.

If I put one in the basement, will it interfere with the one on the 2nd floor?
Silas1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:38 AM   #2
pismobrat
macrumors regular

Hi

Yes and no to your question.

The second AP (Access Point) won't interfeer if you have it set for a different channel.

If your plan is to stay with Wireless G technology, despite there being 11 channels to pick from. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the best channels to pick, as they don't overlap/interfeer with each other.

eg: Set basement for channel 1 and the upstairs for channel 6.

You may have to set things for 6/11 if there is other interference in your house
pismobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking