Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

M.I.C gadget notes that a reporter from Chinese newspaper First Financial Daily reported seeing Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook in the lobby of China Mobile's headquarters earlier today. According to the reporter, who was also able to snap a photo of Cook although it only shows him from the rear:
This morning, around 10, Apple COO Tim Cook is spotted in the lobby of China Mobile’s HQ, accompanied by 7-8 people. Probably Cook is talking with executives from China Mobile to discuss bilateral cooperation for the iPhone. Both China and America flags are seen in the lobby, and Cook seems to be happy.
China Mobile is far and away the world's largest mobile phone carrier with over 600 million customers, making it a major potential partner for Apple. The carrier has long been interested in offering the iPhone, but Apple has so far been unwilling to build customized hardware capable of running on China Mobile's homegrown TD-SCDMA network standard.

cook_china_mobile.jpg

Reports last month indicated that Apple and China Mobile had reached or were nearing an agreement that would see a future iPhone developed for the carrier's TD-LTE 4G network. Reports have indicated that the same chips could be used for both LTE and TD-LTE, meaning that Apple could conceivably release a future iPhone capable of running on either standard. Complicating the issue, however, is a lack of full LTE coverage looking out over the next several years, and the consequent difficulties of providing fallback 3G compatibility for different standards.

If Cook is indeed in China talking to executives at China Mobile, it seems likely that significant discussions are underway. While any negotiations of this size would likely take place at the senior executive level, Cook's role as Chief Operating Officer currently in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations in the absence of Steve Jobs would suggest that his direct involvement signals negotiations of the highest importance.

Article Link: Apple's Tim Cook Spotted at China Mobile's Headquarters?

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
If that really is Tim, then that suit really doesn't suit him (provided I'm looking at the right person in the photograph...).

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
If that really is Tim, then that suit really doesn't suit him (provided I'm looking at the right person in the photograph...).
He probably feels that there's some value to showing a modicum of etiquette and respect in terms of business attire when he is overseas and being hosted in a country whose business people typically wear suits.

Note that Steve has been known to show up in attire other than his trademark black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers for situations that call for something else (he wore a tux to the Academy Awards, for example).

Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
He probably feels that there's some value to showing a modicum of etiquette and respect in terms of business attire when he is overseas and being hosted in a country whose business people typically wear suits.

Note that Steve has been known to show up in attire other than his trademark black mock turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers for situations that call for something else (he wore a tux to the Academy Awards, for example).

Throwing a navy blazer over a pair of khakis is a minimal nod to standard protocol.

Not a big deal.

I agree with your wardrobe analysis here and I'm inclined to believe that looks like the back of Mr. Cook's head and thusly that we'll see a China Mobile compatible iPhone sooner than later.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I imagine he does go visit China once in a while, if for no other reason than to visit Foxconn factories. If he's going to spend all day on an airplane, he's going to take the opportunity to visit other big players too. So, this says pretty much nothing about how far along Apple's plans are with China Mobile. But it is kind of a fun news item in a voyeuristic sort of way.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Woohoo! Bring it on. Apple/Foxconn better build more Brazilian-based factories just to barely keep up with demand.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I imagine he does go visit China once in a while, if for no other reason than to visit Foxconn factories. If he's going to spend all day on an airplane, he's going to take the opportunity to visit other big players too. So, this says pretty much nothing about how far along Apple's plans are with China Mobile. But it is kind of a fun news item in a voyeuristic sort of way.
My guess is that when Tim Cook travels, he has very specific reasons, agendas, and meeting topics.

Based on his working style, it is unlikely that he would just drop in on big players, just to say "hi" or to justify his time in the air.

He is in that building to talk about something specific.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If Cook is indeed in China talking to executives at China Mobile, it seems likely that significant discussions are underway. While any negotiations of this size would likely take place at the senior executive level, Cook's role as Chief Operating Officer currently in charge of Apple's day-to-day operations in the absence of Steve Jobs would suggest that his direct involvement signals negotiations of the highest importance.
Whether it has a high importance or not, it could also suggest that Apple has cultural sensitivity and sent the COO to show appropriate respect for China Mobile executives at the same level. In which case this could be an introduction to talks, not the completion of a deal.

CousinCocaine

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
This ain't no iPhone4 camera

They indeed need iPhone4's in China. Then at least the photo's are better than this one!

Last edited:

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
My guess is that when Tim Cook travels, he has very specific reasons, agendas, and meeting topics.

Based on his working style, it is unlikely that he would just drop in on big players, just to say "hi" or to justify his time in the air.

He is in that building to talk about something specific.
Of course he's going to have specific agendas. And of course Apple is talking to China Mobile about something specific. But yes, he does have to 'justify' his time in the air. When you spend 12 hours in the air each way, or whatever it is, you're going to cram in as much useful work as you can. He's not going to fly there every week and make special trips for each different business they're dealing with. Don't undervalue seeing people and places in person, as good as technology is getting, it's still the most useful.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would customize the **** out of anything for 600M potential customers.. I don't know why Apple would even hesitate..

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would customize the **** out of anything for 600M potential customers.. I don't know why Apple would even hesitate..
Margins. Apple is not interested in "making it up on volume". They leave the loss leaders and razor thin margins to the other guys.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
600M more potential customers (well, maybe top few percent of that)? Make it so.

Lol mic gadget thinks US = America.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Is Android already available with China Mobile? Apple needs to make this deal happen to stay competitive. Could mean huge new sales numbers from the App. Stores.

gibstros

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Texas
Does the dude travel alone?

What I don't get is where are his companions? The acting CEO of Apple travels alone and carries his own luggage? Maybe the guy next to him is an interpreter, but still, Cook has to carry his own luggage? I bet Steve doesn't carry his own luggage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.