Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in the process of posting videos from the WWDC 2011 on iTunes and Apple's developer page. The video page was updated briefly yesterday, but the videos were never posted but we have confirmed that they are available on iTunes.

The videos can be accessed by registered developers by visiting the Development Videos page and clicking on "Log in to iTunes" on the bottom left.

The videos can be downloaded in standard- or high-definition. HD videos can be viewed on a Mac, iPhone 4, 4th gen iPod touch, iPad or Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases WWDC 2011 Session Videos

lettertojane

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Oregon
Great!

Last years collection helped me out greatly and this collection looks even better, I can't wait to watch them. Last year there was also a zip of all the sample code too, but I don't see any for this year. Am I missing it or is it not there?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
In 2010 they were up a week after WWDC, so I was worried Apple wasn't going to make these sessions freely available this year. It's great they are up now.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It's a shame the iPhone 5 hadn't been released. The sessions last year confirmed the 512MB RAM on iPhone 4 everyone was guessing about.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any chance these would be available to non-registered devs?
I work as a developer in my job but haven't signed up as a developer in the apple world but these videos would interest me

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I work as a developer in my job but haven't signed up as a developer in the apple world but these videos would interest me
They are available to free, basic tier developers as well.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Least the slidedeck 109 shows isn't too hard to get for those with the correct credentials. Downloading the 109 HD shows is going to be an overnight job for many...

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Some of these are must see for the skeptics that believe that Lion hasn't major changes in its entrails.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Given how quickly WWDC is selling out these days, I'm happy that Apple looks to be making a tradition of releasing these to aspiring devs.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Even downloading at 6.2 megabytes/sec this is going to take awhile.

They look good though. I guess I'll dedicate some time in the next few days to watching a few.

3Mb/s here. Not downloading all of them, but 29 of them enough to eat some 20GB of my hard drive... Lucky I'm not on a macbook air :)

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Great stuff, should keep us interested for a while, big whoop ass downloads btw, patience boys, and we ll get them.

iCrizzo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Burlington, VT

Sign up for the Safari developer program which is free and you can then view them.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Some of these are must see for the skeptics that believe that Lion hasn't major changes in its entrails.

Agreed. And unfortunately, even though the OS underlying features say otherwise, we will still get the same garbage from people saying things like "APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE PROFESSIONALS ANYMORE" all over the forums (the same people who won't be able to describe how Lion hinders their workflow :p).

I myself am SUPER excited for OpenGL 3.2 since it means not only can I start learning OpenGL 3.2 programming but it also means that the amazing texture painting program Mari can come to the Mac.

EDIT: OMG they have an OpenGL video! Time to take a break from game making to watch a movie...

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Agreed. And unfortunately, even though the OS underlying features say otherwise, we will still get the same garbage from people saying things like "APPLE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE PROFESSIONALS ANYMORE" all over the forums (the same people who won't be able to describe how Lion hinders their workflow :p).

I myself am SUPER excited for OpenGL 3.2 since it means not only can I start learning OpenGL 3.2 programming but it also means that the amazing texture painting program Mari can come to the Mac.

EDIT: OMG they have an OpenGL video! Time to take a break from game making to watch a movie...

How was the video? Anything in there about 3.2 in particular? :)

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Between my 'real' job, finance, I don't know when I'm going to be able to view all these lessons. I just started programing as a hobby this year but I love how Apple sets these things up. 110 videos. They should put these in iTunes U and get more people interested in running Apple OS. PS - I am registered but not a paying developer.

Attachments

• apple class.JPG
    apple class.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Violin

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
As long as I've experienced yes, you can view this sessions even if you're not in the ADC program - I am in the developer program, and I've sent the videos page to my friend, who is a "free registered developer" and he success in downloading the videos too :).

Anyway, I've waited for this sessions! So happy to see that Apple uploaded them, I only need to find now the related source code and move my schedule in order to view this 110 sessions (Yeah... that's kind of... impossible, but I'll try to view as much as I can :D)

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Just registered as a Safari developer, just ticked some boxes to get registered (so it is possible). I'm not really interested in developing anytime soon, probably in a few years, but I'm just interested in the videos. How they explain/show all the new api's/features etc. I might just delete my account later on. The vids download at an amazing speed, very nice.
I hope that Apple will place them in the iTunes U for everyone to see. All this information does make people very interested in developing (people like me).

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I've watched 3 videos already and I'm having a geekgasm - anyone who says that Lion is a minimal upgrade need to have a look at all 110 videos that are available then come back and repeat what they said. What I think the biggest thing will be be what third parties and Apple do when it comes to middleware.

After having a look at the videos I'm really shocked/surprised at how many changes they have made since Snow Leopard was released - the changes they've made are hardly things that one can complete on a rainy weekend.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

How was the video? Anything in there about 3.2 in particular? :)

I looked at most of the video a few hours ago, and if I understand correctly we could see quite big OpenGL performance improvements (i.e. frame rate improvements etc.) if developers start using the new ”OpenGL Core Profile” features in Lion. Looking at the demo at the end it seems quite capable of improving frame rates.

Would be great for games and other 3D applications.

I asked the developer Feral for any possible frame rate increases for the game Borderlands in Lion and got this reply:

...and unfortunately the advances in OpenGL that you refer to are not relevant to any performance increase.:(

I also mentioned that the Windows version of the game Bioshock is better in Windows (tried the demo on both Mac OS X and Windows 7 on the same hardware. The response on this:

The Mac version is slower than the PC on the same hardware because OpenGL does not have the features or optimisations that you will find in directX - this is because DirectX is designed specifically for gaming and as such has had over a billion dollars of R&D spent on it by Microsoft as part of the Xbox program.

Oh, well...

Last edited:

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Watching the OpenGL video for Lion right now...

It's a major improvement of OpenGL on the Mac and will probably lead to a speedier adoption of OpenGL standards... We might finally (in a few months) manage to be on part with the standard.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

It also means the move to OpenGL 3.3/4.x has overcome the big hurdle and will be capable of extending to these APIs additions sooner rather than later for Apple.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I keep on getting in iTunes (regular iTunes store is fine)

Could not complete the iTunes Store Request. The store may be busy.

Check your Internet connection and try again later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.