Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The removal of the "Pre-Release" tag from the most recent seeds on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger has suggested that the upcoming Mac OS X revision has reached Final Candidate stage.

The most recent build is 8A425. Final candidates are considered to be complete/ready versions of software development. If no further issues are determined, the final candidate may be declared Gold Master -- which will be the shipping version of the product.

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is expected to ship in mid-April, with a rumored announcement this Friday (April 1).

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Here we go. I can't wait. Some of the new features look pretty cool, and I'm holding off on a new Mac mini until this comes out. The sooner the better (unless it's not done, obviously. No need to rush a buggy OS to market, they're at least a year ahead of MS.).

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
I'm ready.
My Visa is ready.
My mac at home is ready.
I'll be ordering a 'Book for the office and travels when it's official.
RU ready?
I can't wait to have everything on my 'puter accessed from one starting point!
Cheers!

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
There will be at least one more build before Tiger reaches Gold Master. But an April 1 announcement now seems possible.

tsunami2k3

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
This is great news, but now I'm going to have to decide whether or not I want a new iBook or new Powerbook (that is assuming the iBook gets a little help to meet the recommended specs of Tiger). Stupid battery life vs. power debate :(

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I'll remember this talk of bugs when the next version 18 months from now comes out. It will have tons of problems and people are going to be negative and say it will never ship on time. I think this is a normal process of finding bugs and fixing them. Even though they may sound really major, it sometimes a walk-thru of the code will reveal the problem and it isn't a big deal to fix it.

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
April 1

quackattack said:
Wow, April 1 seems like a pretty safe bet now. Warming up my credit card! :D

April 1st is a safe bet that it's April Fools Day. :p

I will believe that Mac OS Tiger is available when it's still on Apple.com's website the following day. :D

This Tiger is available now !!!
... call the house. I'm playing with an antique 6500/250. Getting it ready for transport to it's new owner.
=-=-=
JJ Tiger :cool:

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
JJTiger1 said:

I will believe that Mac OS Tiger is available when it's still on Apple.com's website the following day. :D

This Tiger is available now !!!
... call the house. I'm playing with an antique 6500/250. Getting it ready for transport to it's new owner.
=-=-=
JJ Tiger :cool:

What would people say if Tiger disappeared at midnight of April 2. :D

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Anyone know if it feels signficantly faster? 10.3 was a bit faster than 10.2 and 10.2 was much faster than 10.1 etc. However, 10.4 feature wise isn't very compelling for me personally unless it feels faster. 10.3 still is noticeably slow in things like bringing up contextual menus. Is it much faster on G5s given that they have had much more time to optimize it so G5 owners can finally get the payoff Apple promised that would come with software optimization?

loneAzdgari

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
UK, KENT
Does anyone realise that these rumours are predicting the release of OS X on April Fools? Smells a bit fishy to me... Unless Apple has some sort of joke on it's site about it being April Fools. :D

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
loneAzdgari said:
Does anyone realise that these rumours are predicting the release of OS X on April Fools? Smells a bit fishy to me... Unless Apple has some sort of joke on it's site about it being April Fools. :D

Apple announced the release of OS X 10.0 on April 1, so there's no reason to believe it's a joke.

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
loneAzdgari said:
Do you honestly think that Steve and the Jobians would deliberately trick you and I into thinking a product was ready for release, then rip the carpet out from under us???

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
JJTiger1 said:

The April fool's day factor has been well discussed. If it is in fact announced on the first, we have no reason not to trust it. While pranks are fun among friends, I doubt that a big company like Apple would joke about a major product release.

While there is risk that the date is a joke, if we hear from Apple we are safe. I think pre-release being removed is a sign that we are close. If not April 1, I hope we can count on the first half of April. Mmmm.... TIGER.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
Related to the talk on speed, has anybody tried Tiger on a G3 iBook?

I waited a few weeks when Panther came out to see how people reported it running on G3 iBook, and was pleasantly pleased when I installed it on my machine, and my G3 iBook now runs better than it did on Jaguar.

Any chance that Tiger will run at least as fast as Panther (or maybe quicker?) and how does Spotlight run (bearing in mind the slower speed of the iBooks hard drive?)

Cheers,

Marko

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.