Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 24, 2011, 08:59 AM   #1
JordanIvey
macrumors newbie

iPod touch not charging or being recognised using new sync cable

I got given an iPod touch by my girlfriend with a sync cable but no adapter for charging it at the wall as this wall adapter was faulty. The plan was I would just have to charge the iPod using the sync cable by plugging it into my laptop. The sync cable itself I was aware was already semi-faulty (it would work if I got it into a certain position.) This was okay for about a week until the sync cable stopped working competely. I bought a brand new sync cable thinking I'd save myself some money without buying one that actually had an adapter as charging it with my laptop seemed fine. I took it home and it worked for about a minute until it completely stopped working. The iPod is out of battery and doesn't show a sign of life at all where as before it would flicker the low battery sign. As for the new cable, it doesn't even enbale the iPod to even be recognised by my laptop.

Is this a common problem? Is it likely it's just another faulty cable? Or is my iPod somehow dead?

Last edited by JordanIvey; Jun 24, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
JordanIvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

I'd suggest you try connecting the iPod to another computer using either cable. Said computer should have the latest version of iTunes and USB 2.0. Mac or PC shouldn't matter. If it charges and appears in iTunes on the other computer it's either that the USB port on your computer has a short or something, or the iTunes/Apple software needs to be reinstalled. Whether it's the USB port or not can be easily verified by connecting another USB device to your computer and seeing if it works. If the iPod doesn't charge/appear in iTunes, you can try putting the iPod into recovery mode as a last ditch effort.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
JordanIvey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
I'd suggest you try connecting the iPod to another computer using either cable. Said computer should have the latest version of iTunes and USB 2.0. Mac or PC shouldn't matter. If it charges and appears in iTunes on the other computer it's either that the USB port on your computer has a short or something, or the iTunes/Apple software needs to be reinstalled. Whether it's the USB port or not can be easily verified by connecting another USB device to your computer and seeing if it works. If the iPod doesn't charge/appear in iTunes, you can try putting the iPod into recovery mode as a last ditch effort.
Thank you for you're reply. I have the latest version of iTunes and USB 2.0. I've tried all 4 USB ports on my computer has and it still doesn't work. So I think I will try using a friends sync cable with my computer and my sync cable with a friends computer and see what happens. Cheers.
JordanIvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah and since the battery is so dead, leave it plugged in for a while before expecting a boot up.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch