Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:18 AM   #1
jonomo
macrumors regular

iPad left in the rain...

Hello

My wife kept her iPad in the rain and now the screen has some weird blemishes on it.. I doubt this is covered under warrantee. Is there anyway to get these weird blotches out? I think this was just and excuse for her to get an iPad 2.
J
jonomo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2
torbjoern
Banned

This may not get the blemishes out, but I write it anyway.

I would have a serious talk with her about the surrounding topics to her statement, after she has told you her side of the story. Talk with her about how great the new iPads are compared to the old ones, how it's important to take care of one's things, how careful she usually is with electronic devices, how you can't afford a new iPad anyway (if true) etc. Watch her reactions carefully, and check for inconsistencies with her initial statement of having forgetfully left the iPad in the rain. Also, do observe her reactions (voice, body language, etc) to your approach, regardless of what she answers. Finally, IF there is a sufficient amount of guilt, remorse or inconsistencies on her side, confront her with your suspicion and she will tell you the truth.

This might seem like an interrogation technique, which it is. And a very efficient one, too. Remember that even if your gut feeling is not always right, it's never wrong either.
torbjoern is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:44 AM   #3
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomo View Post
Hello

My wife kept her iPad in the rain and now the screen has some weird blemishes on it.. I doubt this is covered under warrantee. Is there anyway to get these weird blotches out? I think this was just and excuse for her to get an iPad 2.
J
The blotches may go away once it is completely dried or they may continue to stay there. Only time can tell.

Hopefully that really wasn't an excuse to buy a new one because you could have sold the old one and put the money towards a new one. Now it's going to be worth less money.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:08 AM   #4
Firen
macrumors regular

I'd turn the device off completely and let it dry properly (not on a radiator, just at normal room temperature). The blemishes might go away after some days.

And: Presumption of innocence should apply! Especially in a marriage.
Firen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:21 AM   #5
nwb123
macrumors member

try putting it in rice, not yet cooked. they said rice can suck the moisture.. not sure though
nwb123 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjoern View Post

I would have a serious talk with her about the surrounding topics to her statement, after she has told you her side of the story. Talk with her about how great the new iPads are compared to the old ones, how it's important to take care of one's things, how careful she usually is with electronic devices, how you can't afford a new iPad anyway (if true) etc. Watch her reactions carefully, and check for inconsistencies with her initial statement of having forgetfully left the iPad in the rain. Also, do observe her reactions (voice, body language, etc) to your approach, regardless of what she answers. Finally, IF there is a sufficient amount of guilt, remorse or inconsistencies on her side, confront her with your suspicion and she will tell you the truth.

This might seem like an interrogation technique, which it is. And a very efficient one, too. Remember that even if your gut feeling is not always right, it's never wrong either.

Can't believe some woman hasn't snatched you up yet.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:31 AM   #7
mfr1340
macrumors regular

this guy is a jem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Can't believe some woman hasn't snatched up yet.
What else should he do if that don't work? Beat it out of her!
mfr1340 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:18 AM   #8
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Buy her an iPad 2. When the iPad 1 is dried out and working fine again you'll have something YOU can play with. Apple won't replace a device damaged by getting wet.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:46 AM   #9
porcupine8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Did you miss the part where he said it's his wife, not his seven-year-old?

To the OP: Have you tried the bag of rice trick people use with their iPhones?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:57 AM   #10
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns
Quote:

That's easily the best response ive ever seen. *I tip my hat to you*
ilovemyibook is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:03 AM   #11
GreenLabel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1340 View Post
If the 'beating' does not work, put 'her' out in the rain!! haha Just kidding!
Good luck getting it dried out. I have tried the 'rice' advice before on a cell phone and it worked!
GreenLabel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:24 AM   #12
wpotere

Quote:
LOL, if I would have done that to my wife I would be sleeping in a motel! Yet, there are some that think talking to another person like this (especially your wife) is ok.
wpotere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:25 AM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I know I was woo'ed.
GoCubsGo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:32 AM   #14
dspalton
macrumors 6502

Get a new wife

Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:07 AM   #15
torbjoern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpotere View Post
LOL, if I would have done that to my wife I would be sleeping in a motel! Yet, there are some that think talking to another person like this (especially your wife) is ok.
Why wouldn't it be? It's not ok to leave the iPad out in the rain either.

But it has to be done in a subtle and not-too-obvious way, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine8 View Post
Did you miss the part where he said it's his wife, not his seven-year-old?
Certainly not. And if the tables had been turned (husband left iPad in the rain, wife consults MR), I would give the wife the same advice. I have used such techniques in my work so I know they're efficient on adults. Not always, of course - and it's a matter of practice too. For instance: pathological liars could circumvent this especially if they were more skilled in the game than I was, in which case it would be nearly impossible to ambush them.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Merging posts, please use MULTIQUOTE and/or EDIT...
torbjoern is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:56 AM   #16
snberk103
macrumors 603

Just buy your wife a new iPad 2 because you love her.

And for all of those who want to delve into the deeper motivations of her actions. Get back to us when you've examined yourselves and can report back you're perfect.

Sheesh. Happy long marriages are not that difficult when you don't think of your spouse as an adversary.
snberk103 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:56 AM   #17
torbjoern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1340 View Post
Of course - that's the next step... and you knew it! Nah, I'm just kidding, that's a horrific thing to do better make them want to tell you the truth. But it's important that they're under such pressure that telling you the truth actually becomes a relief - while at the same time, the pressure really comes from within themselves due to cognitive dissonance... which again is partly induced by tactical conversation on your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Sheesh. Happy long marriages are not that difficult when you don't think of your spouse as an adversary.
Antagonism is a natural part of life. Deal with it.

Last edited by torbjoern; Jun 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
torbjoern is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:01 AM   #18
wpotere

Quote:
Why wouldn't it be? It's not ok to leave the iPad out in the rain either.

But it has to be done in a subtle and not-too-obvious way, though.
It was likely an accident. Clearly you are not in a relationship and if you are I pitty the person that is with you as you have serious issues of trust. My wife is my best friend and I would never think of talking to her like you described. I would simply ask her what happened, get the answer and take it for the truth. There is no need to go all KGB on her!

Manipulating people is not OK and I am willing to bet that your coworkers know what you are doing.

Quote:

Not if you want a lasting marriage!

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Merging posts, please use MULTIQUOTE and/or EDIT...
wpotere is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:04 AM   #19
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I don't think the OP wanted marriage counseling plus all this would of done is caused conflict.

OP it isn't really worth getting a screen replacment you may have to replace with a iPad 2. I dont think rice works with the ipad.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Firen
macrumors regular

Thankfully some people do believe in being nice instead of an ass is a desirable trait.
Firen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:07 AM   #21
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Of course - that's the next step... and you knew it! Nah, I'm just kidding, that's a horrific thing to do better make them want to tell you the truth. But it's important that they're under such pressure that telling you the truth actually becomes a relief - while at the same time, the pressure really comes from within themselves due to cognitive dissonance (induced by tactical conversation on your part)
Question for you: Do you think long and happy marriages are built in an environment where a life partner can only get the things they want by resorting to lying? Why would a life partner feel that this way, I wonder?
Quote:
Not in our marriage, it isn't. We face life as it comes side by side, not face to face. I'm not saying our marriage is perfect. I do stupid things, she does stupid things. We look at each other, laugh about it, and get on with the important things in our lives. Proving that the other person was wrong never enters our minds. YMMV

Last edited by snberk103; Jun 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:36 AM   #22
torbjoern
Banned

Quote:
It was likely an accident. Clearly you are not in a relationship and if you are I pitty the person that is with you as you have serious issues of trust. My wife is my best friend and I would never think of talking to her like you described. I would simply ask her what happened, get the answer and take it for the truth. There is no need to go all KGB on her!
The OP seems to have trust issues with his wife in the first place, which is why I wrote what I did. I have been married for many years, yet never had a reason to not trust my wife. She's the finest human being I have ever known, and I treat her accordingly. Some would say she's better than I deserve, but that would be an insult towards her intelligence (and I would never marry a stupid girl).
Quote:
Manipulating people is not OK and I am willing to bet that your coworkers know what you are doing.
Oh, I can guarantee you that they know - and hopefully they know it to its full extent, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Question for you: Do you think long and happy marriages are built in an environment where a life partner can only get the things they want by resorting to lying? Why would a life partner feel that this way, I wonder?
Ask the OP. He's the one who suspects that his wife left the iPad in the rain on purpose, so as to get an excuse for buying a new one.

See my post above, btw.

Last edited by Hellhammer; Jun 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Consecutive posting - please use the multi-quote.
torbjoern is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:33 PM   #23
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ask the OP. He's the one who suspects that his wife left the iPad in the rain on purpose, so as to get an excuse for buying a new one.

See my post above, btw.
Saw your post. I was assuming the OP was trying to be funny.

I doubt the iPad is covered under warranty (to confirm the OP's rhetorical question)... time to bite the bullet. Stuff happens. Oh well.
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:38 PM   #24
imahawki
macrumors 6502a

This might be the most bizarre thread I've seen on MR and that's saying a lot. I think the excuse line was tongue in cheek and the actual question posed was about the probability of fixing the issue and/or warranty coverage. Not, how do I interrogate my wife.
imahawki is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:45 PM   #25
blue43fan
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think you took the OP way too literally. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't serious.
blue43fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad