Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ok, so I did a restore and finally got the phone to upgrade to iOS5 beta 1! However, when triple clicking the home button to bring the voice over and pressing emergency call to get the screen to switch, my three finger swipe didn't get the notification screen out. Now I can't figure out how to get to the phone screen. I'm effectively locked out of my phone. What can I do now?

In iTunes, it says it's unable to complete my activation as I'm not part of the developer program.

Even after shutting off and restarting the phone, at the home screen when I triple click the home button to activate the voice over feature, pressing the emergency button doesn't do anything. All it does is just get the voice over feature to just say out emergency button. No matter how many times I press it, it doesn't do anything. iTunes is still telling me that it can't activate the phone. What can I do guys? I'm really stuck!

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
This is why you don't upgrade to the iOS 5 beta when you're not a developer.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
You do know you need your UDID registered by a developer if you're not a dev yourself, right?

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
This is why you don't upgrade to the iOS 5 beta when you're not a developer.

Lots of people have done so and they are not developers. You're not being helpful at all here. What's done is done and I'm looking for solutions.

You do know you need your UDID registered by a developer if you're not a dev yourself, right?

No I didn't, but it wasn't mentioned in the Gizmodo article. What do I do now lionqueen? Is there a way to even downgrade to iOS 4.3.3?

Last edited by a moderator:

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Lots of people have done so and they are not developers. You're not being helpful at all here. What's done is done and I'm looking for solutions.

Get your UDID registered and your problem is solved. $99 a year, or find someone you can get to register you.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Get your UDID registered and your problem is solved. $99 a year, or find someone you can get to register you.

How do I get my UDID then?

I was trying to follow the Gizmodo post on updating the phone w/o subscribing to their program. Are you telling me that no one has been able to update to iOS 5 w/o registering their UDID?

sterumbelow

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Easy solution to this...

1. Open iTunes, connect your iPhone with the USB cable.

2. Press and hold the Home Button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

3. As soon as the screen goes black, release the Sleep/Wake button but continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

4. Install the latest OS from iTunes as usual.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Not really sure, but I know people sell them on eBay for like 5-10 bucks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Google is your friend if you register as a developer an pay for the developer account, you'll also have access to knowledge based articles.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I believe using gizmodo's trick, it's unusable as a phone - you can do everything but make calls, but it sounds like something's gone wrong beyond that. I'd never trust those kind of "tricks" to be honest.

You need your udid registered - you could make a post here, explain what happened and ask nicely for a dev here to register your udid. A stranger here registered mine, and others, so it's def. possible. They were sold on ebay but I think ebay cracked down and removed the listings. Or you could pay 99 for a dev account.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Well that sucks. I was aware they couldn't be sold, but I didn't think just asking for one was a problem.

Maybe a dev will take pity on the OP and pm him :)

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Google is your friend if you register as a developer an pay for the developer account, you'll also have access to knowledge based articles.

Even if I pay for a developer account, I don't have the UDID. iTunes won't display it. Will the other's instructions do the trick and let me downgrade back to iOS 4.3.3?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will the other's instructions do the trick and let me downgrade back to iOS 4.3.3?
I don't know and not sound snarky, but I have not loaded iOS5 onto my phone. I can't tell you whether any of the rollback steps work.

My suggestion is that search is your friend. One could say you looked before you leaped in loading the beta. Take your time and do your homework before messing your phone again.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Easy solution to this...

1. Open iTunes, connect your iPhone with the USB cable.

2. Press and hold the Home Button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

3. As soon as the screen goes black, release the Sleep/Wake button but continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

4. Install the latest OS from iTunes as usual.

Where do I get iOS 4.3.3 again? iTunes won't download it.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Agree with maflynn. I'm not a dev, and i did put the beta on my phone, but I googled first. I didn't just read what one site said and grab my phone and start messing with things. I made a point to go to several sites and read several sets of instructions on how to do it, and made sure I was following the right instructions. I doublechecked what the steps are - anyone who likes tech knows that sometimes one little step can be absolutely crucial, and mess you up if you don't do it. Like getting your udid, or even doing the research to find out that you NEED your udid. After going over the steps a few times, and reading a couple threads here about installing the beta, to see what kind of probs ppl were running into, THEN I put it on my phone.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Agree with maflynn. I'm not a dev, and i did put the beta on my phone, but I googled first. I didn't just read what one site said and grab my phone and start messing with things. I made a point to go to several sites and read several sets of instructions on how to do it, and made sure I was following the right instructions. I doublechecked what the steps are - anyone who likes tech knows that sometimes one little step can be absolutely crucial, and mess you up if you don't do it. Like getting your udid, or even doing the research to find out that you NEED your udid. After going over the steps a few times, and reading a couple threads here about installing the beta, to see what kind of probs ppl were running into, THEN I put it on my phone.

Look, I realize I made a mistake here. None of what you said is going to help me resolve this problem once and for all. What I need to do now is to either go back to iOS 4.3.3 (can't find the files anywhere) and or reflash to iOS 5 beta 1 and get that screen again.

I just restore the phone using the method outlined by another poster to iOS 5 beta 1, but for some odd reason, that screen doesn't pop up to allow me to do the three finger swipe to get to the home screen.

I need solutions here.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
no, but i thought it might help you LEARN where you went wrong, and why you're screwed now. If you just want to ignore what I said, that's fine. I already made suggestions trying to help you. I dont know where you can get 4.3.3. Did you...you know... google it? To be honest, I hope no dev pms you for the udid. Your entitled attitude -"i dont care what i did wrong, just help me fix it now!!" is pretty off-putting.

good luck with your brick- I mean your phone.

You give non-dev beta adopters a bad name. No wonder ppl give us ****.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
no, but i thought it might help you LEARN where you went wrong, and why you're screwed now. If you just want to ignore what I said, that's fine. I already made suggestions trying to help you. I dont know where you can get 4.3.3. Did you...you know... google it? To be honest, I hope no dev pms you for the udid. Your entitled attitude -"i dont care what i did wrong, just help me fix it now!!" is pretty off-putting.

good luck with your brick- I mean your phone.

You give non-dev beta adopters a bad name. No wonder ppl give us ****.

What attitude here? You're not helping me out by trying to lecture me. I'm trying to get the phone usable again. Yes, I have used Google and the Torrent sites, but I don't see a iOS 4.3.3 file or else I would have downloaded by now. If it was so hard and painful for you to be helpful then why do do you even bother to post?

The only people that gives other people a bad name are people like you who are looking to start a argument and rather than trying to offer solutions, they give a snarky attitude and pretend to be otherwise.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Step 1
Google iOS 4.3.3 for your device and download it.

Step 2
Put your iPhone in DFU mode. My method is below:
1. While phone is on and connected to the computer, push and hold home and power buttons until screen goes dark.
2. When screen goes black, keep holding for 4 seconds
3. After 4 seconds, release the power button and keep holding the home button for 15 seconds. If you see the Apple on your screen, you did it wrong and you should try from the start.

Step 3
In iTunes, you should see your device in DFU mode. From here if on Windows hold the Alt key and click on Restore. If you are on a Mac, hold Option and click on Restore. Browse for your iOS 4.3.3 IPSW and then wait for your phone to rebuilt iOS 4.3.3

Hope this helps you. Next time, don't upgrade to a beta unless you are a developer or until you have more sense to do more research before plunging into a complicated upgrade.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. But why don't you do something yourself instead of asking others to do it for you? Try your best to become self reliant. Your mother does not work here.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I'm not trying to be a jerk at all. But why don't you do something yourself instead of asking others to do it for you? Try your best to become self reliant. Your mother does not work here.

What's the point of a forum if one isn't allowed to freely post and ask for help? Are you looking to start an argument or you're going to be providing solutions here? I didn't ask for your advice nor did I ask you to post in this thread. If you have nothing useful to say then go stay out of this thread.

The obvious answer is that I did tried to figure this out and by even searching this forum. I couldn't figure it out and that's why I'm asking for help.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Step 1
Google iOS 4.3.3 for your device and download it.

Step 2
Put your iPhone in DFU mode. My method is below:
1. While phone is on and connected to the computer, push and hold home and power buttons until screen goes dark.
2. When screen goes black, keep holding for 4 seconds
3. After 4 seconds, release the power button and keep holding the home button for 15 seconds. If you see the Apple on your screen, you did it wrong and you should try from the start.

Step 3
In iTunes, you should see your device in DFU mode. From here if on Windows hold the Alt key and click on Restore. If you are on a Mac, hold Option and click on Restore. Browse for your iOS 4.3.3 IPSW and then wait for your phone to rebuilt iOS 4.3.3

Hope this helps you. Next time, don't upgrade to a beta unless you are a developer or until you have more sense to do more research before plunging into a complicated upgrade.

Thank you so much for the instructions.

I also want to thank the person who PM me the link to download iOS 4.3.3. The download should finish within the next 25 min. and I'll follow the instructions that you have posted. Thanks again and god bless!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.