Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ault45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Delaware, OH
I have a fully functional 2.3 dual core that is pristine. I also have a 2.5 quad that has serious case damage, but other than that is 100%.

My question is what all need to be switched out to put the quad in the dc case since all of the components inside the 2.3 are good?

Thanks

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
You might run into problems with the logic board standoffs inside the case. You should double check this, before starting anything.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have a fully functional 2.3 dual core that is pristine. I also have a 2.5 quad that has serious case damage, but other than that is 100%.

My question is what all need to be switched out to put the quad in the dc case since all of the components inside the 2.3 are good?

Thanks

I would think it makes more sense to find dead 2.5 somewhere that you can transplant the working one you have into. Your going through all that trouble to take perfectly working computer and possibly you screw it up by the transplant. Then your left with no working machine could just be me but I think that would be the best route to take.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I would think it makes more sense to find dead 2.5 somewhere that you can transplant the working one you have into. Your going through all that trouble to take perfectly working computer and possibly you screw it up by the transplant. Then your left with no working machine could just be me but I think that would be the best route to take.

Good advice. Listen to this guy. It's also very easy to find dead G5's. They die often.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
I dont know much about the g5 but why would the op want to go out and spend more money on parts that he already has? I would attempt to transplant the computer if you know what your doing. If it doesnt fit put them back.

mac.tastic

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
The 2.3 is a much more reliable and desired computer over the Quad due to its air cooling. The only selling point to a Quad is its processing power. Keep the 2.3 as-is and sell the Quad. The money from both will buy a good Quad with a few hundred $ left over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.