Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Some of you may already know me as I am very active in the iPhone forums, but this is my first post in the Mac section as I have always been a Windows user (moreso for financial reasons than anything else) and I recently came into some money that my family gave me for graduation. I would really like to purchase a MacBook Pro 13.3" with the i5 processor but I was wondering if I should buy one now or wait for a refresh? Although I am familiar with the Mac UI and the computer itself, I am rather new to the refresh dates and performance of the machine.

In case you TLDR'ed the first paragraph, I'm essentially asking if I should buy a MBP 13.3" i5 now or wait for a refresh, when the refresh has been speculated to arrive, how the computer performs for daily tasks such as internet browsing and some gaming, and basically how much you like your MBP.

I did a quick forum search and the results I yielded didn't really answer all my questions so please excuse me for making a new thread. I anticipate and appreciate your responses.

:)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Buy now. They were updated in February and the next refresh won't be until 2012 for ivy bridge.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
i would also buy now, going to be quite a few months before it gets updated.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Thank you very much for your input! I've been hearing "refresh" lately and was scared to buy one but now I know exactly what I'll do. :)

Is the i5 still a pretty good processor? I'm essentially trying to get the cheapest MBP possible but still having acceptable performance.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Thank you very much for your input! I've been hearing "refresh" lately and was scared to buy one but now I know exactly what I'll do. :)

Is the i5 still a pretty good processor? I'm essentially trying to get the cheapest MBP possible but still having acceptable performance.

Yes it's a good processor, just note it's a dual-core and not a quad core like the 15"'ers. You didn't mention your uses but note if your any type of comp gamer the 13" has an integrated card so the 15" would be the better choice if that was a concern. I also see your from New Brunswick to (East Coast Canadian's FTW!)

Last edited:

davmcn

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Yes it's a good processor, just not it's a dual-core and not a quad core like the 15"'ers. You didn't mention your uses but note if your any type of comp gamer the 13" has an integrated card so the 15" would be the better choice if that was a concern. I also see your from New Brunswick to (East Coast Canadian's FTW!)

Agreed, East Coast Canadian's FTW.

On other probably more important terms, depends on what you use your computer for, what MBP would suit your needs. If you don't do anything GPU intensive then the 13 inch are perfect for your needs.

Aznskill2k

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
NYC
buy now for sure. Gonna be awhile until next update. Oh and you can also use the "Buyer's Guide", very useful.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
aside for specific usage, the i5 dual core is generally a great processor. you may want to think about a 15'' if you need a quad core or dedicated graphics if it's still within your budget.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Agreed, East Coast Canadian's FTW.

On other probably more important terms, depends on what you use your computer for, what MBP would suit your needs. If you don't do anything GPU intensive then the 13 inch are perfect for your needs.

Well I was considering doing some light gaming. (Anyone familiar with Amnesia?)

buy now for sure. Gonna be awhile until next update. Oh and you can also use the "Buyer's Guide", very useful.

I checked there and it said don't buy last time I looked but I could be mistaken!

RyeMN

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Well I was considering doing some light gaming. (Anyone familiar with Amnesia?)

Don't plan on gaming too much with the 13 inch. You can probably play it on low, maybe low-medium specs, but anything higher than that will be choppy.

The 13 inch just comes with the intel graphics I believe.

tombubi

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2011
Buy it when you need it. I dont think they will release refresh ones before next year.

RafaT97

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Miami

If you can afford a 15" you will notice the difference quickly, the difference between a 2.7 dual core and a 2.0 quad core is a lot! Even when it comes with everyday tasks's. I was in the same possition as you were because of the weight ( you know 1 pound more is 1 pound more in your shoulders everyday). But I also had in mind graphics, sounds and I went for the 15" and It's been a great desition so far!

I aso had in mind that before I bought the 15" I had a 6.5 pounds HP laptop so the 5.6 pounds 15" MBP was one pound less for me! :)

Also keep in mind that apple gives financing if you an U.S resident and you can check other sites were you can get up to 100 $ off.

PS: We are also expecting a MBA refresh sometime soon and they are supposed to be 1.8 ghz quad core so if you can wait some time before buying a Mac you should!

Good Luck and Welcome to the Mac family!!! :D

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Just an update: There's a Mac version of Amnesia available that runs on Intel graphics and the other day I installed it on my friend's MBP 13.3" i5 and it runs lag-free on high graphics settings. :) I'll be getting this Mac. Thank you all so much for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.