Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lebatteux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Hi all,

I'm not surer if I'm the only person having this problem, but have failed to find any reference to it anywhere on the web so far so figured I'd ask the experts !! D
:)

I am using my late 2010 27" iMac in target display mode for my pc to play games on. It works fine except for one thing.

When I change over the display using command f2 the brightness goes to max.
When o change back it's dim again

Eveywhere is telling me the brightnessn keys should still alter the bright ness during target display mode, however mine do nothing.

I've tried a dusting the brightness on the windows machine buts it not the same as the physical adjustments on the monitor

Does anyone have any thoughts ?? I'm using the apple wireless keyboard

coxhead andy

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Even if the target display mode, only the brightness of the screen keyboard, the volume and sequence of keys Display Target Mode is active. All other keyboard will be ignored. USB, FireWire, and different input data from the keyboard to ignore try this may be your problem will be resolved.

Last edited:

Lebatteux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Even if the target display mode, only the brightness of the screen keyboard, the volume and sequence of keys Display Target Mode is active. All other keyboard will be ignored. USB, FireWire, and different input data from the keyboard to ignore try this may be your problem will be resolved.

That's the thing though. The volume and target display switch both work at all times during the use of target display mode, but the brightness keys don't.

Do your brightness keys work ?

Mine do but only when using the osx desktop

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
This was apparently broken in 10.6.8. I use target display mode frequently. The Brightness keys no longer work at all since the 10.6.8 update.

Lebatteux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
This was apparently broken in 10.6.8. I use target display mode frequently. The Brightness keys no longer work at all since the 10.6.8 update.

I spoke to Apple today who didn't seem to know what I was talking about !
however, I think they#'re now telling me the brightness keys on the IMAC are for adjusting target displaymode when using another apple product only.

I'm now looking for drivers that I can apply to Windows 7 instead to see if I can get it to reconise the Imacs display properly and adjust the brightness.

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick, but I think most places are telling me to install bootcamp on my windows machine ?? which will give me a birghtness slider bar , anyone done this ?

Also, I guess there's a slim change that the next update will tackle the issue ?

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
You should also file a bug report:

https://bugreport.apple.com/

I've never seen that the target display mode requires an apple display for the target display. I think the person you spoke to was blowing smoke up your arse ;)

This was obviously broken with the last update and will hopefully be resolved with a later update.

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
fyi, I received a reply on mine a few days ago that this was a known issue so they are at least aware of it.

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
It has been addressed somewhat in 10.7.2. It still opens in target mode at full brightness but it is at least adjustable again via the keyboard keys. Hopefully they will fully implement a fix but it's something at least.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
It has been addressed somewhat in 10.7.2. It still opens in target mode at full brightness but it is at least adjustable again via the keyboard keys. Hopefully they will fully implement a fix but it's something at least.

Good to hear. Something else to look forward to in .2.

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
10.7.2 has been in beta for quite a few weeks as it contains the iCloud bits which is a pretty big update. I'm still hopefully they fully implement the brightness fix but I haven't seen a new beta in a hair over a week (which reminds me, I should go out and check ;)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hmmm, you're right, I never noticed this. I'm still on SL so I guess I won't see that fix anytime soon. Since I'm only playing games the brightness is ok. I have noticed the occasional glitch (brief flicker) while playing but other than that it works great.

Cheers,

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Brightness control has been restored in the 11C37 seed of 10.7.2. Finally!

I just confirmed this while using the last beta! My eyes were starting to hurt at night...

DJRumpy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
It's actually been in 10.7.2 for weeks. It is not perfect yet, but the ability to adjust the brightness was put back weeks ago. It still defaults to full brightness though. It's better than it was at least.

mike95

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I just confirmed this while using the last beta! My eyes were starting to hurt at night...

Just for some additional information, at home I have iMac 27" 2010 and it required 10.7.2 to control the brightness. At office I have iMac 27" 2011 w/Thunderbolt with 10.7.1 and not only does it control the brightness, it remembers it too. Additionally, I can control the volume with a non Apple keyboard -- something that is not possible via display port as the display port device's volume is in control disabling the local volume control.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Just for some additional information, at home I have iMac 27" 2010 and it required 10.7.2 to control the brightness. At office I have iMac 27" 2011 w/Thunderbolt with 10.7.1 and not only does it control the brightness, it remembers it too. Additionally, I can control the volume with a non Apple keyboard -- something that is not possible via display port as the display port device's volume is in control disabling the local volume control.

To those still having issues (I just did when I connected my DisplayPort-equipped 27" iMac (2010) to my MacBook Pro 15" (Thunderbolt 2 / 2014), use the free app Shades to adjust brightness if your keyboard doesn't adjust brightness levels properly.

Note: I have no issues adjusting brightness with my USB Apple Keyboard, it just doesn't work with my bluetooth Magic Keyboard.

Shades: http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

discoHR

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Unfortunately, Shades has no effect on iMac's brightness control. Shades adjusts brightness but in a different way and is limited to whatever iMac's brightness control was set to.

Looking for a solution to freeze iMac 2010 brightness at 50% no matter what iMac sets it to (such as 100% after switching to TDM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.