Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas for DVD storage. I have roughly 350 DVDs/Games/Software discs scattered in 3 briefcase style cases and a few softcover cases.

It is getting increasingly harder to keep the discs organized (alphabetical, per type) with such a collection. Over the years, I have tossed out many of the cases the movies came in to save on storage, and to toss the dvd in the cases.

I have been looking up prices to buy new cases, but when you need 3-400 of them, it gets quite expensive.

I'm looking for ideas to store my dvds, games, software discs, etc. which won't take a day to rearrange each movie as I add to the collection.

Anyone have any ideas?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Ever think of storing them digitally? You would need a few TB but it may be worth looking into.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I did the following. 500 DVD and blu-ray discs

Purchased a copy of movie software from movie collector.com

One of theses: http://www.meritline.com/1000-cd-dvd-storage-wallet-case---p-22028.aspx

I then took all the discs out of there holders (stored those in a box that went into the garage) cataloged them. If you want you can also purchase the software for your iPhone or iPad. Then you don't have to print them. I never do anyway.

I would also look into storing them digitally and serving them to a head unit ie apple tv, sling box,boxee or something along those lines.

Hope this helps.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
This is the setup I have been eyeing for a very long time.
I looked at different setups for a very long time. From prebuilt systems like synology and drobo; to an OS like Ubuntu server and FreeNas, etc; to high priced RAID cards in a Windows/Linux system; to Linux software RAID. I ended up choosing unRAID for a number of reasons. It is on a high level a Linux OS with a Linux software RAID (<- that is a description on a very high level, there is a little more to it then that short sentence says).

Ever since I heard about them on avscience.com. How much space do you have?
Right now the server has about 8TB in a tower style case. I recently picked up a rackmount style case and will be transplanting all the current parts into the new case in the next couple months.

One of the best parts of unRAID is its ability to add more drives very easily. I have some old 500GB drives in use in my array, and I have some new 2TB drives in use also. I have a 160GB drive in use as a "cache" drive and app install location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.